Itchy dog - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our dog has been really itchy lately. Scratches himself all the time. I think it's dry skin. When you scratch him you sometimes get little flakes. I've been giving him a fish oil pill every day for a couple weeks now and it doesn't seem to be helping much though his coat is really nice and soft now. I don't think it's an allergy. We haven't changed his diet at all. I suppose he could be allergic to something that's blooming out in the yard now as he does a lot of rooting around out there. Any thoughts on a shampoo or some other treatment that might help?
#2 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM

It could definitely be allergies. It's prime fall allergy season here and both me and one of our dogs have been dealing with it for about a month or so. You can try some plain Benadryl for it - it didn't work for us effectively enough but it's usually the first thing that's recommended.
#3 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM

fleas. My dog has also started itching like crazy. Obviously the dog next door has them and gave them to her She hasn't had fleas in years actually. Poor thing is miserable. Skin of bright red from itching. The only allergy she has is bees and I found a flea earlier in the week grr
#4 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure mine does not have fleas. They checked him at the vet and saw no sign of fleas and I haven't seen any either. When I separate the fur and look at the skin it's not really red.
#5 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Discontinue the fish oil capsules....could be an allergy there. Ask your vet about other EFA capsules available.
Bathing too often can exacerbate the problem by drying out the coat. Look for a good conditioning shampoo (dog)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#6 of 10 Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our pup always gets itchy this time of year from seasonal allergies.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 10 Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me that the fish oil capsules could be a problem. Maybe I'll stop those for a few days and see what happens. I suspect it probably is seasonal allergies. We got him in February so this is our first Fall with him.
#8 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamazooMom View Post
I'm pretty sure mine does not have fleas. They checked him at the vet and saw no sign of fleas and I haven't seen any either. When I separate the fur and look at the skin it's not really red.
I grew up with a lab with flea bite allergy. It didn't require an infestation, just one bite and he was pulling his fur out in chunks. I second the benadryl idea.
#9 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 AM

My dogs have the same problem and I feel so bad for them! I can't find any fleas or flea dirt but they are bright red from biting and scratching. I want to try Benadryl but don't know how much. One dog is about 40 pounds and the other is about 80 pounds.

Thanks!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 AM

How old is he? You said you got him in Feb, was he a puppy then?

It could be a corn allergy. I guess it can develop around the 1 yr mark. We eliminated corn and it fixed the problem. It takes a little while to see the results.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page