my yorkie got chewed up by 2 great danes. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we took him to the vet and they cleaned him up. they said that the bites broke the skin but did not puncture the abdominal cavity. they sent him home with abx and pain meds bc we couldnt afford the overnight stay. at the pet hosp they gave him iv fluids, a pain shot, and a thorough look see. they also gave him another frontline

they told us what to watch for. but i just need some more support. it was entirely my fault. i feel so guilty. now i am really worried about him.

he seems to be ok. he walks, he perks up and looks at you when you say his name. he pooped once since he got home, and peed too. cant get him to eat really and he threw up his water. but the second drink stayed down and so did the meds.

i guesss i dont know what i am asking for. i just needed to tallk about it. i am so upset i cant sleep. i was walking him. he tried to run away from the danes but they caught him. they shook him and bit him. i was hysterical. i was also out ofmy mind cuz i actually tried to pull them off of him. it really scared DH, he thought i was going to get bit too. once the owner got the leashes again they calmed down. and went away. my dog ran away and hid under our car for awhile.

please tell me he will be ok, Universe. Please?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 AM

What a horrible experience to go though I am sending lots of healing your little guys way.

What you can do is hold the owners of the danes responsible for the vet bills. It is only fair they help with them since it sounds like they got away from their owner.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think he will be ok. It sounds like the vet checked him and there are no internal injuries. I saw a little dog shook at a dog park once and she was ok. Why do you think it was your fault?
#4 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 AM

Oh no! That had to be so scary! (((hugs)))

Little dogs really are so vulnerable to big dogs. From your description, I don't see how you were at fault! I think the only thing you might've done to help would be carrying some sort of deterrant spray (I carry citronella Spray Shield), but even that is so rare to even think of until you've been in a scary situations. I've been there myself but with a dog that has space issues with other dogs and big "friendly" dogs charging into our space.

If you can, please to follow up with the Dane owners - they should be paying your dog's vet bills since your dog was on leash and it sounds like theirs weren't.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#6 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

i guess i was too upset and didnt explain everything.

it was my fault bc i took him outside without a leash. after i told everybody to do it and bought him a new leash, i let him go to the mailbox with me without it. the other lady was walking her dogs across the street. i had never seen her or her dogs before and i live in a very small town. my dog ran over and then ran back. they yanked themselves out of her hands to chase him. there was no way she would ever be strong enough to hold back both of those dogs.

my dog seems to be ok. he is walking and eating and drinking, and urinating etc. he wont take his pain pill but did take the abx. i cant seem to get it down his throat and he caught on to it mixed in his food. he is mostly resting and seems to be handling it ok.

i still feel so bad. if he had been on a leash, i could have kept him from running over there in the first place. i dont know what possessed me to have such a moment of stupidity. and my dog had to pay the price.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#7 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Mama, it's okay to make mistakes. Even "big" ones. You thought it would be okay "just for a minute, just this time." We ALL do this. And really, there's no way to know for sure if those dogs wouldn't have come over to your dog, even if he hadn't gone over there first. Right?

It sounds like your sweet little buddy will be okay. You're going to get your second chance and so is your dog. That's wonderful!

Did the owner of the danes offer to help or support you at all? Obviously, she had her hands full getting her dogs back under control; but after that? Because I don't think this was "entirely your fault." I'm not totally versed on leash etiquette yet; but is it always a case of if the other dog(s) were on lead and your's wasn't, you're automatically to blame?
#8 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM

oh hunny BIG *hugs* that poor baby! i dont feel its you're fault! you were on YOUR property getting mail not jogging down the road. SHE should be more responsible! its obvs impossible for her to control 2 huge dogs what the heck is she thinking?! what if they attacked a human?!?! she could not control them clearly. i do not see how it's you're fault i think this woman is to blame for her irresponsibility.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 PM

I'm so sorry. HOW SCARY! I agree on following up with the lady with the big dogs... sounds like she may not be the best person to be walking them if she can't keep them under control...?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Good advice so far, but did you report the attack?

Around here if a dog bites another dog it should be reported to animal control, whereas if a dog bites a person it should be reported to the police. Please report it!

Please don't be too hard on yourself. At most you were half at fault. I agree that other woman clearly didn't have control of her dogs - and her dogs clearly had some dog-agression issues. With large dogs that don't play nicely with other dogs they need to under control at all times on walks (well, all dogs should be under control of course...).

If your little dog had run up to, and then away from my large herding dog, he would've tried to chase (being a herding dog after all), and he might have been able to rip the leash out of my hands if I was caught off-guard, but my dog would NEVER attack because he's been well socialized and loves to play gently with little dogs.

So sorry. I hope your little guy heals quickly.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#11 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry, how scary

I don't think you're entirely at fault. The other woman shouldn't be walking dogs that she can't physically control, period. A leash is pointless if she can't use it to restrain them.
#12 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM

First (((GIANT HUGS)))

Second, this was NOT your fault. I've owned Great Danes. First of all, I'd never walk more than one at a time. No way. There would be no way I could control two of them. This is also pretty unusual behavior for Danes. They can be very protective of home and their family but to go after another dog, especially a little dog is really weird. Which leads me to believe this was even more not your fault - this was the fault of the other owner. If she knew she had aggressive dogs she should not have been attempting to walk them both at once with no hope of controlling them if they wanted to get away.

Legally I have no idea who is responsible, but morally I would feel horrible and offer to pay.

I really hope your little guy is ok.
#13 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

i was under the impression that the one whose dog is off leash is legally at fault.

i was so shook up when it happened i dont know where she went or what she said. i remeber her yelling at me about nt having the dog on a leash and i remember her looking scared when my dog started running.

i agree about not walking dogs you cant control.

i dont even know who she was or where she lives. i am not sure i could remember her face. i would certainly remember her dogs though.

#14 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM

You know, I was thinking about this and yes, you should have had your dog on a leash so I guess you have to cut her a little slack. Once when I was walking my Dane a small dog ran out of his yard, across the street and attacked my dog. Like, biting his legs. My dog was scared, didn't know what to do and I was kicking the dog and screaming at the owner to come get him (who was sitting in a lawn chair watching) and she refused because my dog was "so big" WTF? I finally kicked it enough that it gave up. I was furious that dog wasn't on a leash. So I do see the point of needing to control your dog even in your own yard.

However, it sounds like your dog was not aggressive but more curious? Saying hi?

AND she still had two huge dogs she could not control so, for me, I place the blame more on her side.
#15 of 23 Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 PM

i am so sorry this happened

Yes, the fault does lay on both. The danes shouldve been controlled (I have one and its not really that hard) but any dog seeing a loose little animal may react. WIth toy dogs, they often look like prey animals, especially if off lead.

I am happy that there were no major injuries....as with the size difference this couldve ended much worse.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#16 of 23 Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM

Certainly sounds like everyone has a bit of responsibility in this - and that's ok. You've obviously learned that it only takes "just a minute" and hopefully the dane owner learned that she needs a better plan for walking her dogs. We're certainly all human!

For your little guy - have you tried using braunsweiger or similar paste-like food to encase the pain pill? Sometimes that will help things go down. I've also faked my dogs out by tossing a treat for them to catch, then the pill, and then another treat lol.

My vet also always recommends Traumeel tablets for any injuries my pets get - we would crush the tablet (using non-metal spoons only and without handling it ourselves) and let them lick the powder out of a glass (or ceramic or plastic, again, no metal) bowl. Certainly something to consider *esp* if you can't get the regular pain pill into your pup!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#17 of 23 Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 AM

Aww poor guy.

I'd be scared to interfere. My best friend text me one day last year saying her dog was attacked. I was shocked considering her do its 90 pound rottweiler mix. I figured a coyote but nope another large dog. They can be so territorial even when not in their territory. It happens to large dogs too though so don't be guilty. They should really be having more control of their dogs too.

Hope he's back to his old self soon. And you as well. I'd be so guilty if my cat got attacked.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#18 of 23 Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

my yorkie just wanted to say hi. he is very friendly. the danes just went with their instincts. it is obvious by the bites that they werent too serious about killing him. if they had wanted to, it would have only taken one bite from them to do it.

he doesnt seem to be in that much pain. when DH walked him, he even went up and down the stairs by himself. he has been eating and taking his abx. we did buy some canned food for him. he has been drinking plenty of water.

is it neccessary to give him the pain pills? it is called tramadol.

i still feel real guilty and really grateful to still have him.

#19 of 23 Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM

I would keep giving him the pain pills for as long as the vet recommended.

Dogs are very very good at hiding pain.

Glad to hear he is getting better.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#20 of 23 Old 09-19-2010, 06:06 PM

I bet your little guy will be ok. I have a bishon shitzu mix who is only 11 lbs and he was bitten on the head and shaken by a large dog. I was beside myself and couldn't get that image and sounds out of my head for the longest time. I took my dog (Sam) to the vet and they kept him over night because of swelling of his eye and other injures but he has made a full recovery. Me on the other hand I am like a over protective mama.

Hugs, it (the events) do fade from your mind and your pooch will recover. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#21 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I bet your little guy will be ok. I have a bishon shitzu mix who is only 11 lbs and he was bitten on the head and shaken by a large dog. I was beside myself and couldn't get that image and sounds out of my head for the longest time. I took my dog (Sam) to the vet and they kept him over night because of swelling of his eye and other injures but he has made a full recovery. Me on the other hand I am like a over protective mama.

Hugs, it (the events) do fade from your mind and your pooch will recover. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
thanks. he is doing better. i still am quite upset about it but am feeling better every day. he has been spoiled since then and i know he is feeling better bc he is starting to take advantage of being spoiled. lol. instead of just laying around.

#22 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM

I am glad to here he is doing so well!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#23 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
thanks. he is doing better. i still am quite upset about it but am feeling better every day. he has been spoiled since then and i know he is feeling better bc he is starting to take advantage of being spoiled. lol. instead of just laying around.
Definitely call animal control. See what they say.

I agree with others that there is some 'fault' on your end so it's not cut and dry, but, her dogs were "off leash," too, if the leashes weren't in her hands. If she can't control her dogs, she shouldn't be out walking them, period. What would happen if they tried to run off after a kid? Is she gonna blame the mom for her kids not being on a leash?

Regardless of what happened, her dogs cannot attack other dogs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page