Ummm, boy dog question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ummm, I'm going to try to put this delicately but, our 5ish mo chihuahua gets ummm....excited every time he's excited. If you pick him up to play with him, he's in a constant state of arousal. At least that's what I think it is - two large, hard lumps at the base and penis sticking out. Is this a puppy thing? A male thing? Will it get better as he gets older or once he's neutered?

He's so cute, everyone wants to hold him but, the constant "excited" state is a bit, ummm....well, you know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only see this addressed once so I'll share that experience with you. I was at a breeder's home for a meet and greet. At one point while we were there the dog we were meeting had his penis out and the breeder said something like "weenie" and the dog pulled it back in. I must have looked at her with a questioning expression because she explained to me how she trained the command. Starting when the dog is very young if she saw their penis out she would spritz it with water and say "weenie". Eventually, the dog was conditioned so the water was no longer needed and she could use only the command.

I've never owned a male before and haven't researched it any further. I have no idea if there is a good reason not to do this, but there very well could be. Good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Most dogs will grow out of this behavior, though neutering may help. It's not a sexual thing, just purely related to excitement and as the dog matures they generally learn more about impulse control.

I can't believe that someone would punish a dog for something he wouldn't even know he was doing! People complain about oversexualizing breasts when it comes to breastfeeding and to me this is a similar issue - it's normal dog behavior that isnt harming anyone. :/

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#4 of 8 Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Time to get him fixed!
#5 of 8 Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're going to - he's just so small, the vet wanted to wait until he was a bit bigger/older before putting him under anesthesia.
#6 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm grossed out by this too, but I don't agree with PP that you should get him fixed right away. There are many studies done to prove that you should wait about a year before fixing a dog. If you fix too early, it shortens their lifespan. Too late, and you have a higher chance of cancers. Never fix and strangely that's the shortest lifespan in the studies.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#7 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM

I'm not so sure that getting him fixed would necessarily change this behaviour.

This is purely anecdotal of course but...

I've seen this type of behaviour in neutered males, in puppies I've met (status unknown) but...

I never saw it happen with my male who was neutered at 14 months... and I currently have a 2 year old intact male whose inner bits I've never seen... (no other way of putting it I guess)...

I'm not so sure it's a case of being intact or not is what I'm saying...

It's perfectly natural, it's not a big deal, but yes I understand it's a little embarassing. He might grow out of it, he might not. He will certainly grow out of his puppy-excitement levels.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM

My 13.5-year old still does this, he was neutered at 3 years old.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page