Bad month for animals in this house.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so we're having a bad month with animals So first, I tried to rescue a wheaten from this family in Tucson. Well, the dog was majorly aggressive (I posted about this a few weeks ago) I was hoping to reabilitate him but it didn't work out. I was very scared to keep him in the house because he almost bit both my husband and I, unprovoked. I ended up called the breed rescue for that dog and the person that did rescues told me to have him put down. So, I did. I've never had a dog euthanized before and it was pretty awful.

So, fast forward to this weekend. I decided to take my son to the shelter and see the puppies and kitties. We weren't planning on adopting but ended up meeting the sweetest dog. Great with kids, great with other dogs, 2 years old, housebroken, he knows basic commands, etc. Well, we decided to bring him home. Love the dog...this a total forever home...so happy. Today, he jumped the six foot stone fence we have that surrounds our back yard. My husband was the one home and apparently it took all of 5 minutes and he was gone. Several people in our neighborhood have seen him but we couldn't find him. I put up about a hundred fliers and combed the neighborhood for like three hours.

He has a microchip that is supposed to be registered to our home but we just got him on Saturday ;( We hadn't even gotten him a tag yet that has our address. He has a rabies tag and his microchip tag.

So sad He is the sweetest dog...I hope we get him back. At this point, I just feel like crying my eyes out.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#2 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, seeing that I've had 22 lookies but no responses, I'm assuming no one cares. Anyways, I had someone bring my dog back today. They had kept him overnight, thank goodness.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#3 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM

That's awesome news!!!

That's my greatest fear - our little chihuahua getting out. I haven't had him microchipped yet because he was too young/small to neuter and I'll only do it when he's under anesthesia.

I'm so glad you got your baby back. I can only imagine what that must have been like. s
#4 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Glad he is back--WOW on the jumping thing. I would have thought that a six foot barrier would have been plenty!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM

So glad your dog came back.
#6 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM

I care, just don't have many words of wisdom as we're having a bad week ourselves.

Glad you got your sweet doggy back, and I'm so sorry about the first one, but you did the right thing. At least you gave the first dog a chance at a forever home; sometimes that's all we have to offer.
#7 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Gosh that has to be scary! So glad he came home safe!

You might want to look into Coyote Rollers for the top of your fence - they work incredibly well for dogs that can scale fences as well as doing a bang up job of keeping unwanted animals out of your yard.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#8 of 8 Old 09-22-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Stardogs, the problem is that my fence is stone, and I don't own the property so I can't do any physical changes to the fence. I think the best thing that I can come up with is to put a floating tie out across the yard. So then, he can play back there with my son and potty and stuff and I don't have to worry. I'm thinking he would always have to be in a harness though in case he make a break for it.

I don't know, we'll see. If I could attach that coyote thingy to the fence without drilling, that would be another thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page