Sigh I'm afraid the new manager is going to want - Mothering Forums
Pets > Sigh I'm afraid the new manager is going to want
MommytoB's Avatar MommytoB 12:43 PM 09-22-2010
cats declawed . We have had our cat for around 6 yrs . So our cat was registered through a different manager.
So she wants the registration to be completed yearly which means including proof of declawing .

I can't allow declawing to be done and if it's not done then the cat isn't fully authorized to live here .

Then that would mean to choose declawing or have a cat to lose his home

stardogs's Avatar stardogs 12:53 PM 09-22-2010
Could you have a chat with the new manager? If you're a longterm tenant and they see that your cat hasn't damaged anything (seriously, invite them over to see for themselves) with claws perhaps they might be willing to flex, kind of like grandfathering him in?

You might also want to ask if they'd accept nail caps instead of declawing - it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask!

Lots of good luck vibes headed your way!
MommytoB's Avatar MommytoB 01:29 PM 09-22-2010
The cat has obviously tore up some edges of carpet through the time I have lived here .
confustication's Avatar confustication 02:04 PM 09-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
The cat has obviously tore up some edges of carpet through the time I have lived here .
In that case, you don't have a lot to stand on. I would offer to invest in nail caps and finance the necessary repairs.
lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 09:11 PM 09-22-2010
Was this a long standing rule that the previous manager didn't abide by or something new? If it's something new you may have more room for argument.
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 10:10 PM 09-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post

Then that would mean to choose declawing or have a cat to lose his home
Or you could move.
MommytoB's Avatar MommytoB 10:28 PM 09-22-2010
It's supposedly a new rule because there has been no other mention of declawing from the previous managers .

So I may just wait and see because I just wonder if that is only for new animals and I will wait to see the landlord ask me to get any more proofs of our cat .

Believe me my boy made a much more mess on the carpet than our cat ever does .
Minky's Avatar Minky 04:00 AM 09-23-2010
I know I stand completely alone here, but if it's a choice between declawing and euthanizing a healthy animal, I support declawing.

My dad declaws his cats.

I don't like declawing, but in my lifetime, seven cats who were scheduled to die in shelters have lived long and happy lives because they were declawed.

In this case, I think there may be a middle-ground, such as hoping nobody enforces the policy, negotiating with the manager if it is enforced and financing the repair to the carpeting, which may actually be cheaper than declawing.
purslaine's Avatar purslaine 12:47 PM 09-26-2010
Can you deny you have a cat? Is he an indoor cat?

I know it is probably on paper that you have a cat, but claim he ran away or passed away.

Landlords are not supposed to go in your flat without letting you know, so you might be able to swing flying under the radar with a cat.
MommytoB's Avatar MommytoB 03:05 PM 10-16-2010
Minky -this is not talk about euthanizing. This is talk of a new rule passed on by a manager that is new she has also decided to lower the amounts of pets that were allowed because before you could have 2 pets that were both a cat & dog now you only have to one of those pets.

Our cat is a rescue animal and if time has to come too he will be given back to his foster mom which means he won't get killed because the rescues do not kill here.

Anyhow, the cat can absolutely be noticed in our apartments the section 8 ppl know & wrote of the previous cat damage he actually did more damage to my bed than he would ever do the carpet

The bed is easy to replace and i would say my boy as in son has done more damage to the carpet than the cat would ever do.

I even paid 109 dollars for a carpet shampoo cleaned by a professional cleaner that was a plain no good job done!!!!!!!
JamieCatheryn's Avatar JamieCatheryn 05:34 PM 10-16-2010
I thought cat declawing was illegal, ruled inhumane? Is that only in certain states?
MommytoB's Avatar MommytoB 06:58 PM 10-17-2010
It's only in certain states and apartments should not have that policy especially after being here for a few years what gives the new manager right to recommend something tortuous to be done to an animal .
stik's Avatar stik 07:58 PM 10-17-2010
Damage to the carpet is supposed to be covered by your security deposit. Liability for injuries caused by your cat would be covered by your renter's insurance should that ever occur.

I know it's easier said than done, but I don't think your landlord has a legal leg to stand on in re. demanding that you declaw your cat. Your cat's claws are not going to increase the landlord's costs, and I imagine that you aren't allowing your cat to roam wild and harass neighborhood children with its scary and dangerous claws.

It's possible that if you point this out to the new manager, she will simply decide to ban pets. Even then, I think your cat would probably be grandfathered.

What if you just told the manager your cat was declawed years ago? What kind of "proof of declawing" is she demanding?
lonegirl's Avatar lonegirl 07:54 AM 10-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
I know I stand completely alone here, but if it's a choice between declawing and euthanizing a healthy animal, I support declawing.

No you aren't alone.

It's probably been at least 6 months since we did a declaw...which is great! We do all we can to discourage it. That being said....the choice between euthanasia and declawing....declawing wins.

I have personally performed many declaws through the years. We use really good pain relievers (during and after surgery) and the cats do really well, and recover quickly.
babygirlie's Avatar babygirlie 11:03 AM 10-18-2010
*cringe* I find it hard to believe they can enforce animal cruelty. I'd just avoid them. Cap your claws so it doesn't wreck the carpet. That's understandable but not removing their toes. I'd blow it off as long as you can and hopefully they forget about it or not check up on it. Heck if you even lie about it what are they going to do? Worst thing would be to ask you to move.
Up