Please help me figure this out... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our poor dog! We have an 11-year-old German Shepherd mix. She's a great dog - loving and calm, obedient and faithful. But she's sick and I can't figure it out!

She's had lots of runny (smelly) messes in the house lately, which is VERY unlike her. She's also lost her bark. When she barks, it comes out hoarse and nearly inaudible. She isn't behaving like she feels bad - she still wants to play, and hasn't lost her appetite. Thoughts? My gut says this isn't an old age thing, but a sick dog thing.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you taken her to the vet? I think that would be the best course of action. I hope all is well!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#3 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, there's the rub. DH lost his job, there is no $$ to spare to take her to the vet. There are low-income vet clinics here, but all they do is spay/neuter and vaxes.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#4 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 10:47 AM

How long has she been like this? I'm sorry you can't get her to the vet, it sounds like she needs a visit because it sounds confusing.
Does she have swollen lymph nodes around her neck?

ETA I know how hard it is, sometimes we don't have the $$ to go either and I feel so bad.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 PM

I would forget about the money for now and get her the medical help she needs. A stool sample and bloodwork can tell us a lot. I can think of a lot of things it might be. There is something called Care Credit you can use and also vets can and will work with you a lot. You can also call area rescues and shelters or email them and ask them their thoughts to help with assistance in money. It takes some time and research but it can help. You can also put out a post on craigslist for someone to suggest a good clinic.
I know this is such a hard thing when you are low on funds and going through a hard time, but I am worried for her. She sounds like such a great devoted family pet and you guys sound like a good home, I would definitely consider your gut feeling and act on it. Reading these things are hard for me. Please take her to the vet.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please taker her to the vet. It could be a simple fix and it is unfair for her to suffer. Either get Care Credit or negotiate a payment plan with a vet, whatever it takes. Runny stool could be a lot of things...in fact, it could be a parasite such as Giardia that you and your family could catch. It's better to find out what is going on and treat it sooner rather than later. Sometimes small problems can turn into major ones if left untreated.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page