New problem - dog won't pee outside because it's raining! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been trying for hours. It is cold, it is dark and it is very cold rain. The puppy will not pee out there. He just huddles in a ball and shakes. Up until this lovely rain he was doing fine but now he is going on the floor right near the door. What should I do? I really do not want to stand outside in the rain in the dark trying to convince him to pee. Would it totally set things back in the housetraining department if I put newspapers down near the door and just take him there to go for tonight? If not I think I will be outside freezing, soaking wet and yelling at the dog tonight! Thanks for any tips!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two words: Golf Umbrella
#3 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM

omgosh i had a dog like that, i would have to put a leash on her and take her and stand out there with her until she pee'd. One day she didnt pee from the early morning till late that night, i finally stood out there with her until she went and boy when she went she was there forever,lol. I would be afraid of going backwards in potty training, if the puppy is normally going outside and you start her going in while it is raining she might not get back to going outside. good luck
#4 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM

We had the same problem and although an umbrella is an excellent suggestion it didn't work for us because the dog in question is also afraid of umbrellas. sigh!

The answer I have found is that you need to go outside with the dog. Yes, many don't like to be wet and cold out there, just like you don't. But in my experience if I go out there, dog on leash, and don't act miserable, it really seems to help. And no, yelling is not what you want to do. Instead act like you're having fun, throw a little puppy party in the rain. Walk in circles until he pees and then praise like heck! At least when you come inside you can change into dry clothes, your puppy doesn't have that advantage.

Another thing I've found is that the surface makes a difference for some dogs. So while walking on wet grass may be awful, walking on wet gravel may not be as bad, etc.
#5 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I was already going outside with him every time and using umbrella. He absolutely will not go out there and I am tired and need sleep so my friend picked up some potty pads for me and he went on there, right near the door. I am really not happy about having to use them but he just started outdoor training yesterday and I think he is still not sure of it. It is supposed to be rainy and very cold until Tuesday night so I will keep trying but if he won't go I will use the pads for now.

ETA: Forgot to mention I have severe fibromyalgia and it is not possible for me to stand outside in the cold rain for any length of time.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#6 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM

buy him a raincoat or crate him?

Decluttering 500/2010
#7 of 43 Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

We are crate training him, but when it is time to go outside he is too scared of the rain and cold today. He just peed and pooped on the puppy pad right by the door and I am happy with that for now. Hopefully the weather will warm up again soon and we can get back on track.

#8 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 AM

I'm kinda strict about this because I have very little patience for dogs that won't potty. All the dogs in my house, fosters included learn to potty quickly and outside only by doing the following:

1. Crate the puppy overnight/whenever unsupervised.
2. When the puppy needs to go out, take the puppy outside immediately, not even setting him down if there's the potential for an accident.
3. Give the puppy a set amount of time outside to do their business. I usually go for no more than 5 minutes, especially in the rain. I'm very boring - go to the potty area and pretend to be a revolving post with no talking or walking long distances.
4a. If the puppy potties they earn good things (playtime, breakfast/dinner, a walk, etc.) and have some freedom in the house.
4b. If the puppy does NOT potty in the allotted time, they are immediately returned to their crate, usually without setting foot on the floor just in case.
5. For young pups (<5 mo) I will repeat steps 2 and 3 in 10-15 minutes. For medium age pups (5mo to 8mo) I will repeat steps 2 and 3 in about 20-30 minutes. For older pups (>8mo) I will repeat steps 2 and 3 in about 45 minutes - 1 hour.

The keys here:
- Puppy NEVER has the opportunity to have an accident indoors.
- The amount of time given outside is very consistent
- Pottying is required for everything fun in the puppy's life during training

Yes, it's strict, and yes it can feel mean for the day or 2 it takes to get the pup on track, but it is sooooo worth it to have a dog that potties in 2-5 minutes and not having to spend hours in the cold rain whenever the weather is less than stellar.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#9 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds like really good advice. The potty pads are not working because now he is peeing and pooing all over the floor (we have him contained in the living room and thank goodness it is hard flooring!). So just 5 minutes outside? He just sits on my feet and doesn't go. What about at night? If I take him outside and he refuses to go then I have to put him back in the crate and keep trying every 15 minutes? That would get tiring quickly! More input on your method is appreciated!

#10 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, do you take the puppy to the potty area on a leash? I have a collar for him but I was told not to put him in the crate with the collar on so I'd have to be taking it off, putting it on over and over again. Can I just leave the collar on him?

#11 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM

The first few days you are working with the pup can be tiring, so I suggest starting first thing in the morning so he's hopefully gotten the idea before bedtime.

I do pup my pups on a regular 6' leash and regular collar and I do leave the collar on in the crate if I'm home and within earshot, just not when I'm not there for safety's sake. I actually have safety collars on my dogs now so I can always have ID on them but not worry about them getting caught on something (we've used the KeepSafe and some custom cat style collars from Etsy).

The first few times the pup may not do anything, especially if it's gross out, but you just have to be patient (and boring lol - puppies are super easy to distract from the task at hand), keep to the schedule, and make sure they don't have a chance to potty inside.

Eventually they will have to potty and then you throw a big party and let them have some fun - the contrast between your response to no potty (boring human, no freedom, crate time, needing to potty) and pottying (happy voice, treats, playtime/walk, pets, relief from pottying) will really help them "get it".

eta: make sure you keep the crate time short with your guy since he's very young - so 5 minutes outside, if no potty *no more* than 15 minutes crated, 5 minutes outside, if still no potty *no more* than 15 minutes crated, back outside for 5 minutes, etc. until they go.

HTH!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#12 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM

If it's a flat collar you can leave it on, just make sure it's not too loose. Don't leave on any tightening type of collar though. I think taking them out on leash is a great idea, if you want to make it quick you can you a slip-lead, that way it's quick to just loop it over his head and go out.

Once outside I'd wander around for a few minutes so he can sniff things. If he doesn't go by then (or gets too distracted) I'd start walking in slow and boring circles. The walking can really stimulate the bowels/bladder though so if he's just sitting outside and running around and playing indoors then that is when he'll need to go.
#13 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the tips! Another question - what do I do if he falls asleep? I put him in there and I think he's fall asleep. Do I wake him up in 15 minutes or just assume he doesn't have to go??

We did our first outdoor trip in the pouring rain and he just huddled on my foot looking miserable. I hope when he finally decides to go he will do it outside and not in the crate!

#14 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Heavenly it helps (I think) to put your pups house-accidents in the corner you want him to go in.

Our corner is fenced, so we either guard teh gate, or shut it and keep an eye on things to release as soon as the deed is done.

I have a question for those with experience- we have a 13wk old pup that the previous owners had for a mere 2wks ; she said the pup came from a lady that had tons of dogs (I think I know who too, and I suspect she is a puppy mill) anyhow, the puppy definately has a preference for going to the washroom inside on hard floors.
We do as Stardogs does for house training, but there has been two incidents where we have been outside (like today, we went for a 1hr walk in the rain, in which she pee'd). When we got back I took her to the corner as she was showing signs of having to poop (she had to poo the entire walk- as per her bulging anus), she pee'd in the corner (big girl ) but did not poo, so I brought them in and was going to crate her so that she could not poop on the floor. I toweld her off, dropped the towe. Well, the little bugger pee'd on the towel I had just dropped on the floor. Not much, just a dribble.

The first incident like that was, she came inside after going to the corner successfully, she came in, immediately hopped up on the papisan chair and pee'd on it.

I think this is a territorial thing? but how do I prevent this kind of pee accident?

sorry, that was a bit longer than I expected.

Decluttering 500/2010
#15 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Now I have a new issue - how can I tell if he's peeing? He's really small and it is totally pouring rain out there. He crouches to pee but he is so short I can't really tell if he's peeing, and he does the crouching thing when he is just standing there to so I have no idea. When it was nice out I was sitting on the deck stairs so I could see if he peed but I'm not doing that in a downpour! What do I do??

#16 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I let him out of his crate to eat lunch and he peed all over my floor, twice, in 5 minutes. I am getting very frustrated!

#17 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Ugh, I have a dog who won't pee in the rain. Luckily she also won't pee in the house unless she's VERY desperate. i've seen her go 36 hours without peeing before. If it's raining she just won't go. If the grass is really wet then I have to go outside with her. This happened yesterday, and I had to go home at lunch and go outside with her (and I normally pump at lunch, so this was really annoying). So, no advice. Just commiseration.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#18 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM

I replied to your pm Shawna, but I'll put a few notes here for anyone who needs them in the future.

Re: telling if they are pottying in the rain. Usually after a few weeks most owners can tell the difference between a squat to pee and normal standing, but in the first few days it can be hard, especially with little puppies. I recommend crouching down a bit or having the pup on a hill so you can see things more clearly and/or making sure the umbrella is covering him so you can tell the difference between rain and pee under the dog. Girl dogs usually do a low squat so ime boys are the only ones it's really hard to tell on.

Re: sleeping. It's really your own choice. puppies generally need to go outside immediately upon waking, so whatever you do (let him sleep or wake him up), make sure he is outside first thing after waking. Carry him to prevent accidents since you know he has no restraint about pottying on the floor inside yet.

Re: accident at lunch. If I were in your shoes Shawna, I'd have taken him out of the crate, carried him to the yard, and pottied him first. If he absolutely has to have a midday meal (itty bitties often are at risk of hypoglycemia) I might've hand fed him through the crate door if he didn't potty outside. There's a learning curve for everyone here, so try to tough it out - he obviously can hold it pretty well, so that's something you may need to adjust for, but at least you know he isn't going to mess his crate when he needs to go!

Bunny - Some pups may pee a bit in excitement or when intimidated by something, do you think that could've been an issue in your towel situation? If not, it may be that she got distracted mid-pee or the walking elicited more pee production so she wasn't fully empty by the time you let her back in. Some puppies need to pee twice to fully empty as well. At her age I would not suspect any marking behavior, though I have/had 2 girls that marked on walks. If she's peeing more frequently and in small amounts, a UTI could also be a possibility.

A note on accidents: Make SURE that you are cleaning any messes with a pet specific, bacterial or enzyme based cleanser, not just household stuff because household cleaners aren't very good at removing the scent markers that puppies will return to. Even if you can't smell or see it, their noses can find it!

Erin

#19 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

One more question - I am probably driving you nuts! Anyways what if he continues to be stubborn and refuses to go? Do I just continue putting him back in the crate? I just had it and put him in the crate and went and laid for down for an hour and 20 minuts and when I came back he still hadn't wet the crate (yay) but when I took him out he STILL won't pee. I'm going to try one more time but I have to go pick up my kids and I'll be gone about 45 minutes (their school is almost 20 minutes away). So if he STILL won't pee he'll have not gone from 1:10pm to almost 4pm by the time I get back. My kids aren't going to understand why I won't let him play...I guess I'll just tell them he's in timeout! lol I just hope this doesn't make him hate his crate. And that he won't decide to pee in there.

#20 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

He finally peed but when he was enjoying his out of crate time he pooped on the floor! So I took him outside, took the poop outside and told him Potty Here. Then I put him back in his crate (losing freedom for pottying in the house). Was that the right thing to do?

#21 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
AAK

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Ok, I need to join this thread too--or maybe start a new one. As you may recall, we recently added two pups to our household. We have been kennel training and potty training them and have run into a couple snags.

First, they were loving their kennel but would whine if I closed it all the way at night. So, we were leaving it ajar because I am a light sleeper and whenever I heard them, I took them out. Turns out I wasn't sleeping light enough and we were noticing pee marks on our bedroom floor. Our door was closed so the pee was restricted to our room. Well, obviously we can't leave the kennel door ajar, so we started closing it at night. We take them out at 10 before bed. Then, when I hear them whine about 2 or 3 AM usually and then again when we get up (around 6). Once, they didn't whine until 5. However, now the little girl really doesn't want to be in her kennel. She fights it. At bedtime she will whine for about 5 min and then go to sleep. But, at the 2AM pee time, she will not stop making noise when we finally get her back in. At that time, I usually have to move the kennel to a different room so I can get back to sleep. She shares the kennel with her brother. He still is ok with the kennel.

Since all this, the girl has gone backwards in the potty training dept. We had moved up to allowing them access in our "great room" and taking them out very regularly for potty time and then playing with them if they did the deed. We also take them out as soon as they wake and within 5 min of feeding time. But, now I am finding puddles and I have caught her twice doing it. We also find poop occassionally. This is worse in the evenings. Last night, we did our 10pm potty, and she went right on the floor when I was trying to get her in the kennel.

Today, I am cleaning all the floors just in case I missed something that is leaving a scent. I am toying with doing stardogs method mentioned above. But, we have this kennel issue going on. And, do I keep them both locked up or let the boy have more freedom? Should I get them separate crates--I thought they would find comfort in sleeping together since they had been when we got them.

And, about the floors. I was using an enzyme based cleanser, but recently upgrade to one specifically for pet stains in carpet. However, what should I use for the hardwood. I usually mop with vinegar (when I do mop) or sometimes I add the all purpose cleaner from bio-kleen. Do either of those get rid of the urine smell on hardwood. Should I spray them with the carpet cleaner? I would like something that I can mop with in case I haven't noticed all the spots. When they pee, it is less than a tablespoon of liquid.

Amy

Oh, BTW for Heavenly--in the rain, we put the dogs under the eves on a rocky/dirt patch and they were ok with that. They didn't like the wet grass. And we were on the side of the house that gave them some wind protection.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#22 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
He finally peed but when he was enjoying his out of crate time he pooped on the floor! So I took him outside, took the poop outside and told him Potty Here. Then I put him back in his crate (losing freedom for pottying in the house). Was that the right thing to do?
its always one or the other isn't it?
I would have done the same, but probably left out going back into the kennel (unless I was going out, or just plain ticked off from frustration).

Iam not an expert, and if I had to explain I would say 'whats done is done'. You showed him what you want, he probably would not poop again in the immediate future, so its time for exercise.
I think regardless of how you handled it, if you are consistent, then eventually the pup will get it. Hopefully before you go crazy

oh and for my situation- definately not a pee'er when nervous or excited (thankfully). The chair she claimed as hers from the moment she entered the door and was placed on the floor. She takes her toys up there and looks very superior. Previously it was the scary cat's chair.
no explaination for the towel, other than she loved being toweled. It was a joyous puppy moment
Our older dog also had fits of glee over being toweled, but refrained from peeing on her towel when done (she did roll on it though).

Decluttering 500/2010
#23 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Wow lots of catching up to do after being gone this afternoon!

AAK/Amy: How old are your pups? Can you crate separately?

For the whining it's best to wait it out - if you let a pup out of the kennel when they are carrying on they will quickly learn that whining works. In addition you may want to start crating them separately *now* so that you don't have two puppies who grow into two adults who freak out if they can't be with the other - it can cause major issues with medical treatment, future socialization, etc. In addition, the puppies/adults I've met who are crated together often end up less interested in their people because they have each other all the time, which makes training more challenging.

Does the pup that isn't liking the crate only in the crate at night and while you're not home? If so, it might be a good idea to start crating her periodically throughout the day with a super yummy toy (stuffed kong or busy buddy toy) for varying amounts of time, so that crating doesn't always = being alone in the house or boooring hours of confinement.

Depending on age, the increased accidents could be a developmental milestone - are both having accidents, or just one?

For the cleanser, I've always just used whatever spray I use on the carpet on my hard floors (laminate) - you might want to test a section beforehand, but it seems to do the job for me. I have had students that say their dogs don't seem to come back to spots cleaned with vinegar, but I'm overly cautious when it comes to setting dogs up for success, so I only use pet specific/enzymatic formulas for messes.

Heavenly/Shawna: ITA with what Bunny said - taking the poop outside was a great idea, the re-kennelling was unnecessary for learning but could be helpful if you're frustrated and need a break, you're on the right track!

Just keep in mind that if you don't catch the pup "in the act" then any correction is going to be disconnected - they tend to miss connections between behavior and consequence if it's more than a second after the fact.

Bunny: I would keep an eye on this odd peeing behavior, but unless it becomes frequent it's probably just a "puppy thing". I do tend to be pretty cautious about UTIs since it can make housetraining impossible, so if you have any concerns about that, do take her (or at least her pee lol) to see the vet.

Erin

#24 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Heavenly- a few things that i 'see' going on here...
you have a PUPPY... you gotta be patient mommy ... house training can take weeks and months to get it 100%. You need to be consistent, I know you have fibro but the puppy doesnt and honestly the puppy doesnt care. You need to be consistent with the puppy, Take him to pee the same way every time. To the same spot every time, say the same thing every.time.

Dogs have a very short memory so taking away play time for messing on the carpet has no meaning for the dog. The puppy has no idea why he is in the crate, he just has lots of energy and no where to burn it off.

Puppies, stay puppy like for over a year. My roommates dog just turned 1 yr old last week and there is no way that dog is out of 'puppy' yet. My own dog is 6 mos old and still has accidents. (usually my fault).

Do you have a 'Petsmart' near you, they have great puppy classes. Ask around and get to meet the trainers before you sign up. Get out to the park and meet other dog owners, see what works best for them. Some doggie boutique type stores also offer puppy classes too.

When its raining you may have to go out there with the puppy... its not fun but thats some of the joys of having a brand new puppy vs a 'used dog' .

It will get better but remember its a puppy...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#25 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 PM

LOL, we have the exact same problem here--only I have a sicko kiddo to keep inside and a new-to-us 1 1/2 year old female pug/poodle who was very much paper trained when we got her.

What worked (we have had her for three months).

1) Never use paper again, that stuff is just a pain.

2) Just like everyone else has said, don't give her the opportunity to fail. If you know her well enough to know when she should be having a BM each day, but one day she not "producing"--CRATE that dog when you are not absolutely able to watch her closely for signs that she is about to.

Same goes with not wanting to pee in the rain. Stardogs advice was exactly what I did and it only took one day for her to get that I really was not going to let her out unless she peed outside. The next few times her crate sessions were shorter (15 minutes?), and I would take her out every 2-3 hours after letting her loose in the house to try again. If she balked, back in the crate she went, rinse and repeat. You would, I assume, need to make more frequent trips and actually be engaged in watching the whole time while she was out since you have a puppy.

I wasn't angry or abrupt when she did have accidents early on, in fact I just cleaned them up and ignored it unless I actually caught her doing it then I would say "no" and take her out and use our potty words. She really needed consistency just like a puppy would to know what is expected as she came to us trained for papers.

3)Take up all small rugs, don't leave towels or papers down once you start giving her more freedom. Even if you are getting them completely clean with fancy pet cleaner, a rug by the front door may still trigger her to go. Ask me how I know this, :-) I am only now at the point of re-introducing rugs--man I miss them.

Good luck, I know I still need it ;-)
#26 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM
AAK

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Wow lots of catching up to do after being gone this afternoon!

AAK/Amy: How old are your pups? Can you crate separately?

For the whining it's best to wait it out - if you let a pup out of the kennel when they are carrying on they will quickly learn that whining works. In addition you may want to start crating them separately *now* so that you don't have two puppies who grow into two adults who freak out if they can't be with the other - it can cause major issues with medical treatment, future socialization, etc. In addition, the puppies/adults I've met who are crated together often end up less interested in their people because they have each other all the time, which makes training more challenging.

Does the pup that isn't liking the crate only in the crate at night and while you're not home? If so, it might be a good idea to start crating her periodically throughout the day with a super yummy toy (stuffed kong or busy buddy toy) for varying amounts of time, so that crating doesn't always = being alone in the house or boooring hours of confinement.

Depending on age, the increased accidents could be a developmental milestone - are both having accidents, or just one?
The puppies are 11 weeks and 2 days old. They both have accidents, but with the boy it is rare and they seem like "accidents" vs no control/clue whatsoever. With the boy, I can usually say "Crud, I didn't notice him wake up" but with the girl, I am like "but you just went!"

The pup that doesn't like the crate will wander in it throughout the day. It is always available to them and the kids have been 'trained' to leave the pups alone if they are in the crate. I wanted the pups to have a 'safe' place if they were getting overwhelmed with the kids. However, I don't close the door during the day unless I leave the house. This pup is much more timid and "sweet" than her brother. Her brother is fun, and playful and more focused on food and treats. The girl really doesn't care a whole lot for food or treats--although we did find something that she likes (as far as treats go) finally. I sometimes wonder if her brother doesn't drive her batty and maybe she would be better in a separate crate. If she is sleeping on the floor, for example, he has taken her tail and dragged her across the floor. I am guessing he wanted to play with her.

She has also started to growl a bit. This happens if we hold her too long, or pick her up when she doesn't want to be picked up. It is really low, doesn't seem vicious (yet) and she doesn't seem eager to bite (thank goodness). But, I need to remedy this as well. I realize that the growl is often the warning of a bite--so I need to figure out how to teach her not to do that. The kids are really gentle, but they do want to hold the pups a lot vs playing with them. We are trying to teach the kids how to play with the puppies without letting them become the chew toys. They are learning.

The boy is about 5 pounds now, the girl only 3. I don't know if that makes a difference. Part of why we got both was so they would have each other. I didn't want a dog to be lonely simply because we were gone for a while. But, I don't want them to not care for us either. We can get another crate.

Oh, one more question. . . about what age do they make it through the night without needing to go out. I hate to respond to the whining. I only will 1 time and only after 2AM--but this is probably sending a mixed message. But, I don't want to ignore them all night and force them to pee in the crate. Maybe I should just set an alarm and wake them up to pee? What do you suggest for the night training. I think the boy actually can make it all night. This is so frustrating because when we first brought them home, the girl was better at this than the boy. Now it is reversed. I feel like I am treating them the same way--but she is sliding and he is soaring.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#27 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Bunny: I would keep an eye on this odd peeing behavior, but unless it becomes frequent it's probably just a "puppy thing". I do tend to be pretty cautious about UTIs since it can make housetraining impossible, so if you have any concerns about that, do take her (or at least her pee lol) to see the vet.
Well I'm feeling a bit sheepish; I went to straighten out puppy's blanket in her crate and it is soaking wet. The urine does not smell like infection, but i am going to assume she has one and we will go from there.
If it turns out she does not have an uti, then she is getting demoted from utterly spoiled, to having a bare-bones crate

Decluttering 500/2010
#28 of 43 Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Im joining only cuz I have a pup and was there w. the pottying not that long ago (july)... as for making it thru the night... Mine really turned the corner about 5 months with the entire potty thing. She is still tiny and probably will be small for her breed (french bull dog / 6 mos and 16 lbs). She now can hold #1 and #2 all night and all day while we are gone. (so about 8 hrs)

It just takes lots of patience, floor cleaner and more patience. What I noticed was anytime she was 'sniffing' the floor was a sign she was going to pee, so nose to the floor she went OUT immediatley.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#29 of 43 Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Amy, it really sounds like having someone see the dogs in person might be helpful, especially since the female is starting to growl. At this age that's concerning. I'd suggest finding a Certified Dog Behavior Counselor (or a Certified Professional Dog Trainer if you can't find a CDBC).

For overnight I will respond to whines since it's usually for potty needs, just not after I return them to their crate. If the pup seems to be whining just for attention, then I will set my alarm clock for a bit before they start whining, take them out, return them to the crate and then gradually add a few minutes to the alarm time every few nights (assuming they stay quiet and dry) until they are holding it through the night.

Dogs don't have true bladder/bowel control until after 14-16 weeks, so I wouldn't expect them to hold it overnight for a while, though some pups are able to.

Erin

#30 of 43 Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Things are going much better - first for the person who said I have to go out with him in the rain and seems to think I am being too impatient or lazy or something - I do go out with him every single time. Even in the middle of the night in the freezing cold rain. The problem was he would not pee.

Now on to the update - he went pee pretty consistently all last evening, had one accident at 9:30 but other than that he was good. He had two poo accidents but he is blocked only in the living room and he goes to the same place every time so we are just going to watch really closely and when he goes to that spot rush him outside. Now to the even better news! He slept through the night! He was in his crate from 10pm to 6:30am without waking! And when I took him out at 6:30 he peed and pooped outside. He was not happy when I put him back in his crate (morning does NOT start at 6:30am in this house) but he went back to sleep after about 30 min of fussing and then stayed in there until 9am when I got back from dropping the kids at school. I took him right out and he peed and then I took him back inside. He ran to "the spot" about 10 minutes later and started to crouch so I ran him outside and he pooped. We're going to keep up the method stardogs suggested and hopefully things will go good.

We have another issue but I'll start a new thread about that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page