Claw covers for large dogs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an oversized golden retriever that we rescued a few years ago. He is around 110 lbs and is NOT overweight for his bone structure. We are buying a house that has gorgeous newly refinished original oak floors throughout. He has claws from hell that, no matter how often trimmed, are always sharp. Unfortunately, we can't dremel them because to touch his feet requires him being sedated. He isn't allowed to run on hard surfaces like concrete because he has massive hip issues. We don't want our new floors to be ruined and the only option I can find is claw cover things. Do they actually work? Are there any other options?
#2 of 12 Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am interested in knowing, too. My dog isn't quite that big but her claws have taken a terrible toll on our 100 year old pine floors.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 AM

I've heard very mixed reviews on the claw caps. What about dog boots?

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#4 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. Dog boots might work. I can't tell if they are something that I can put on him and leave on him for long periods of time? That would be the only way they would work for us. He is so skittish about his feet and his tail feathers. I can't even imagine trying to take them off and put them on several times a day. We would both be traumatized!
#5 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM

With boots you'll want to make sure they are breathable if he'll wear them for long periods. I've heard good things about Muttluks, Ruffwear Barkn Boots, and the booties from dogbooties.com. I think the dogbooties.com ones might be best since they are made for sled dogs (thus made to be worn for long hours/distances) and cheaper.

eta: you could teach your dog to file his own nails, too. LINK

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#6 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

That nail file idea is awesome. Riley would be able to do his front paws on his own, but as he has so many mobility issues with his hind feet, that may not be feasible. I'm sure we could figure something out though, seeing as he can get through bear proof garbage cans and every kind of baby lock known to mankind!

Thanks again. Oh, if anyone else has any other wonderful ideas, I would love to hear them.
#7 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

i am just curious, if he had to be sedated to touch his feet, he would be sedated to put the caps on yes?

Have you ever tried desensitizing him to getting his feet touched? It takes time but it does work. Here is one example of what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgBvnQ71ss

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#8 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

To put the caps on, we would have to have him sedated. At this point, we have a standing appt every 6-8 weeks at the vets for his nails and they had said they could do it for us at that time.

He is a poorly bred dog who was horribly traumatized at his previous home. We've worked with trainers, behaviorists, etc. to try to help him and gotten him to a pretty happy place overall but he still has many issues. We've desensitized to many triggers but just can't work him past his feet and tail feather response (or his dog aggression). A big part of it is because of his hip issues. He went many years before we got him with having horrible pain in his hips and no medicine so I think he associates pain with his feet and tail feathers. The only people that can even go near his feet or tail feathers are children! He seems to know they are special. He is a really nice dog, but at his age (believed to be between 8-10), we just want to make his life comfortable for him.
#9 of 12 Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe your best bet is to get a bunch of inexpensive rugs to put over the hardwood in high traffic areas. It's not an ideal solution, but it's not permanent, and it would sure be easier than trying to deal with his feet.

I'm not sure boots would work very well - the ones I've used are for outside, and too slippery to use on hardwood floors.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#10 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
With boots you'll want to make sure they are breathable if he'll wear them for long periods. I've heard good things about Muttluks, Ruffwear Barkn Boots, and the booties from dogbooties.com. I think the dogbooties.com ones might be best since they are made for sled dogs (thus made to be worn for long hours/distances) and cheaper.

eta: you could teach your dog to file his own nails, too. LINK
Thank you so much for posting the link to dogbooties.com. My Rottie has hip dysplasia and we have hardwood floors in our house. Unfortunately carpeting is not an option but I spoke with the lady at the website and she said their toughtek booties are specifically for instances like hers. We're going to order her a set of 4 and hope it fixes her sliding problems on the floor. And hey I figure even if they wear out each month or so, they're only $10 for a set of 4!
#11 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Happy to help! I've also used the Pawz disposable/reusable boots for extra traction - not as durable, but they are pretty handy and cheap: $12 for 12!

Erin

#12 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Now it is a moot point for us as our house fell through. But I do really appreciate the responses and will keep it all in mind for our next possible house!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page