Neighbor's rooster - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHY does it crow at all hours? Thankfully it doesn't affect my sleep because I use a fan for white noise. But this guy crows often and all the time. Seriously, I've woken at 2AM, it's crowing. 4AM, all during the day and evening.

Where I live it's spotty on whether or not people are in the city limits, I am but some neighbors are not. My other neighbors are livid about the rooster, it's more of an annoyance for me. I'm just really curious why it crows so much and so randomly. Like it crows at me when I'm in my yard near it's house.
#2 of 4 Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Roosters crow all the time. If they hear a noise, smell something different, see something, hear a noise, because they like to hear themselves, if they hear a noise, sense something, want to crow, you can see a pattern. They just crow for the heck of it!
#3 of 4 Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM

We used to live next-door to a rooster, and they do just crow all the dang time. I was raised in a city, and thought they only crowed in the morning. It's just not the case. When we first moved in I hated the crowing. I am a light sleeper and it did wake me up. My dh, who has lived near roosters before, assured me I would get used to it, and I did. By the time we moved 2 years later, I had grown rather attached to Rocky the Rooster. He was actually very pretty! Enjoy him. Most cities do ban roosters even if they allow chickens. Rocky was definitely illegal, but nobody ever ratted him out.

Trying to get my bearings...
#4 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Some things that make my rooster crow more are light breaking through clouds, boredom (when he's penned), car driving past at night when light shines through his window, leaving the back porch light on and being hungry.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page