Puppy rolecall anyone - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oscar looks so sweet!

I constantly amazed by what freaks Asia out.  I know Weims are bit odd, but it just makes me laugh.  I was wrapping presents last night and she would not settle down until I put the paper away.  I don't know what about it bothered her, but she kept coming over to check on me and had to make sure and step on the paper first.

#62 of 102 Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Hi!

I hope it's okay to jump in here...my first post on the puppy thread...

Anyway, we recently (Thanksgivingish) adopted our pup from the animal shelter. According to their guess and the person who dropped them off, her litter is supposed to be 1/2 black lab and 1/2 malamute. I dunno, she is definitely lab but I just don't see mal. My guess is sled dog mix as I am in AK. She is verrrry leggy and loves to run. I plan on training her to skijor when she gets fully grown. My old sled dog is 11 and really not down with being in the harness anymore.

The pup is named Grace (named by shelter staff and we liked it) and she joins 3 human kids, 2 Norwegian Forest Cat kittens (also adopted from  the shelter) a doxie lab mix and of course my royal master Tova the Sled Dog.

We are crate training and she HATES it. The doxie loves his den, but that seems to be a doxie thing! LOL I hope it gets better soon!

Nice to join you,

Jen

#63 of 102 Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I also wanted to add that I had a Prof in University who skijored with his Weimeraner!  They just need booties.

#64 of 102 Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 PM

I would like to join in the puppy thread! We brought home our puppy Carlos from a local shelter the first week in October. He is a love, but definately more on the nervous/sensitive side. We are working on some behavior stuff, but all in all we all adore him :)

Carlos is about 9 months old and somewhere around 40 lbs. He looks JUST like a flat coated retriever puppy, but my suspicions are that he will not be nearly that big as he has filled out some but not gotten bigger in the almost 3 months we have had him. My best guess would be border collie mix. He is all black and really cute! Thats him in my avatar picture.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#65 of 102 Old 12-31-2010, 12:51 PM

Carlos is adorable...love the snow on his nose. He looks a lot like my brother's dog...she was a sort of spaniel/border collie mix and one of the best behaved dogs I have ever known. She passed away this fall at 17.

We are still struggling with housebreaking Gracie. She knows its good to go outside (wags and expects her treat) yet hasn't quite figured out its not ok to pee/poop in the house. She especially likes to poop under the Christmas tree!! We joke that she is confused with the tree in the house.  Any suggestions?

I'm planning on taking her snowshoeing this afternoon. I would like her tired out before our New Years Eve bonfire tonight.

#66 of 102 Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Welcome to Grace and Carlos!

Dickinson, you are very brave to have a Christmas tree with a puppy. We decided to forego a big tree this year as it would likely have been irresistible for Oscar. We went with a small potted tree on top of the baby grand!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#67 of 102 Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 PM

Not only a tree but a 20 foot tree! We have cathedral ceilings in the living room and every year we go out on the "back 40" and cut down a lovely black spruce. So, yes my DH put up the lights with the old dog annoyed to be sharing her spot, the doxie smelling everything, 2 kittens hanging off from everything, a puppy hanging off the kittens and our 4 year old DD singing Jingle Bells over and over again at the top of her lungs. It was pretty entertaining.LOL. 

Other than pooping, all the creatures have been good with the tree. It will be nice to take it down, though, as I have visions of the whole thing toppling over....what a mess that would be!

Happy New Year

#68 of 102 Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Wow, a 20 ft tree, I'm impressed!

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#69 of 102 Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Here he is at last!  I hope this works as I've never posted pictures before.  I'm useless with technology and had to get 13 y.o. dd to help me. eyesroll.gif It took us a while, but we did finally name him after we'd had him for about 3 weeks.  I don't want to post his name for privacy reasons.  I might change my mind, but I'll just keep calling him puppy here for now.  He's 8 weeks old in the first picture, and 20 weeks in the second (taken 2 weeks ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Nomadmom, I can't wait to see a picture of your pup. Does he have a name yet!? 

#70 of 102 Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Yay, the pictures worked!  Welcome new puppies and people.smile.gif   We joined a dog training club a few weeks ago, and we love it!  Dh and I go to watch, but dd is the handler.  For the first 10 min., all the puppies are off lead to socialize with each other and the humans.  The first time we went, our pup ran around like mad, leaping over other dogs and generally going crazy with excitement.  He did settle down and do pretty well with the exercises.  We only had 2 classes before the holiday break, and are looking forward to starting back next week.  It's an 8-week course, and then the dogs are tested to see if they're ready to move up a level.  Puppy is doing really well with "leave it".  Dd is working with him right now, and she put a treat on his paw and he held her gaze for a good 20 seconds before she gave him the o.k. to eat the treat.  I think our biggest challenge is going to be recall.  We haven't found a safe big space to practice (our yard is tiny).  There are plenty of fields and parks nearby, but I don't trust him not to bolt.  He has absolutely no road sense despite daily walks around our busy village.  How do you teach that?  Whenever we cross a road, I tell him, "wait" and then, "go," and he is o.k. about that, but sometimes when we're walking along he'll just randomly dart out so I keep the leash very short when we're near traffic.  It always amazes me to see dogs walk sensibly down the sidewalk without a leash.  I don't know if we'll ever reach that point, but I do want him to be able to run off leash in open spaces.

#71 of 102 Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 AM

normadmon, he is gorgeous! Thanks for putting the photos up for us to see.

#72 of 102 Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi -- Would like to join!  We adopted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Bichon Frise mix (aka Cavachon) last week, who is now 9 weeks old.  We had a hard time naming him, so threw names in a hat and "Marbles" was the winner.  So far so good.  Housebreaking is going pretty well.  He's now heading towards the back door when he needs to go, but if one of us doesn't see him take off (despite pretty continuous watching), we don't see him in time.  I have bells hanging on the back door, so am trying to train him to ring those.  He seems to naturally want to please, so is catching on to "come," and "sit."  

Marbles seems really mouthy right now -- is probably teething.  I had a dalmation pup as an adult, and I don't remember the dal being nearly as mouthy.  I was trying to discourage the mouthiness and he has PLENTY of chew toys, but seems to really prefer our hands, and if we take them away from him and/or substitute with a chew toy, he goes a little crazy and starts barking.  I seem to be getting conflicting opinions on whether to allow this or not.  Just popped open Ian Dunbar's book, and he said to allow it, but only as a small pup and only very gentle mouthiness.  Any opinions/insight would be appreciated.  

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#73 of 102 Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Welcome Laura!

I am glad the house training is going well, those first few week with a puppy are certainly challenging, but they do cotton on. Many people tether the pup to themselves so that they can be supervised at all times. I didn't do this with Oscar, but he was very much restricted as to where he could be and if I couldn't watch him every second, he went in his crate. At just about 6 months old, I am pretty confident in saying he is well and truly house trained. I don't think we had any accidents past 11 weeks except when he got the runs and pooped in his crate and one pee on an unused "Potty Patch". As for the mouthiness, I think Ian Dunbar's suggestions are the best, they worked with Oscar and he has a great bite inhibition now. I think you just need to be consistent and persistent.

Do post a photo of Marbles if you feel so inclined, he sounds an adorable mix.

#74 of 102 Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I remember that thread!

I have a dob/lab 1.5yr old, overgrown puppy. She is very bouncy and enthusiastic.I am trying hard to love her. Shes a good dog, but has anxiety, and is soo big and over-bearing in everything she does, I often feel annoyed with her when we are indoors. When we are out playing, or hiking I enjoy her enthusiasm more.

My dd has an ugly scruffy mongrel, about 9moths old. She is a little smartie pants and oh so funny. House breaking went fairly well. She has the occasional puddle if left unattended too long. I am enjoying her personality so much more than my dog. She has great car manners, she mainly sits on the center-console and leans against my shoulder and watches the road with me. She has her chair in the house where she keeps her treasures. She comes to work with me most days. She talks with the cutest whines, grunts, yowls, and yarps. She even caught a mouse unassisted the other day. We were very proud of her.

I am going to see if the library has the 51 Puppy Trick books. I think both our dogs would enjoy that.

Decluttering 500/2010
#75 of 102 Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post

I am going to see if the library has the 51 Puppy Trick books. I think both our dogs would enjoy that.

We've really enjoyed it!  And working with Asia on the tricks really reconnects us.  When she starts to annoy me, we go through things, new and old, and we're back to normal again.

#76 of 102 Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 AM

bumping this up again....

Today is my girl's first birthday!  So some pictures:

The day we got her, she was 9 weeks old

26288_395285791952_543311952_4324099_517886_n-1.jpg

And today

1yearold-1.jpg

#77 of 102 Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Happy Birthday Asia! She is such a beautiful puppy!

#78 of 102 Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Happy Birthday Asia! She is such a beautiful puppy!

Thank you!!

#79 of 102 Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Happy Birthday, Asia!  She really is a beauty.

#80 of 102 Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Awwww! Such a cute puppy. Happy Birthday :)

So Chapters had '50 dog tricks', is this a similar book, or the one you were referring to?

I ended up with 'Train Your Dog Like a Pro". For the record, I chose it because of the content not the title, lol.

I also liked "31 Days to a Good Dog", I think she has some sound advice in her book, but not much of it felt 'new' to me.

There was another one about training difficult dogs. I really liked how it was broken down for the different personalities, and mixes of the different personality traits.

Decluttering 500/2010
#81 of 102 Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM

I need to go look for another training book.  I really enjoyed the tricks we did but it's time for something more.

This is one I got.  Had nothing to do with the Weim on the cover. winky.gif

#82 of 102 Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 PM

haha, so I think that is a totally different book than the '50 dog tricks'. 

When I did a search on their computer, yours is the one that came up, but the one on the shelf I am 99% certain was a different book.

Edit to add: I searched online.

Yours is 51 PUPPY tricks

and Chapters was 50 DOG tricks. No wonder I was so confused.

I ll have to go back.

Decluttering 500/2010
#83 of 102 Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM

I started working through 'Train Your Dog.." with my older pup. At this point it is all way too basic and easy peasy for her. I think we need a more challenging book. I didn't realise just how much I had retained form training my first dog 14yrs ago. Once I got going with Dorky-Doo, we just seem to sail along.

As of last night she can 'sit', 'down', 'stay', 'stand', 'shake', 'shake the other', 'heel', "off", "look at me", and 'go'.  with verbal and/or hand sign.

I'm tempted to skip to the end teachings, but I keep telling myself I chose this book for a reason, so just see it through form the beginning.

I would also like to teach her to heel when I step off with my left leg, and stay put when I step off with my right. I saw that on youtube and it looks like a fun thing for a dog to know.

I'll p/u the puppy trick book next time we are out. I would like to work through it as tricks are what Dorky-Do excells at. She is a comical clown who loves to perform.

I do like the book for someone just starting out, or is stuck.

It will be perfect for DD and her pup to work through, especially since it comes with DVD.

Her pup will be a bit harder to train as she was 'heavy-handed' by someone in her previous life and is skittish and appologetic about everything.  Just getting her to make eye contact is hard.

She is also a little circus clown, but only on her own terms.

Decluttering 500/2010
#84 of 102 Old 03-17-2011, 02:32 PM

#85 of 102 Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 PM

We are the new owners of a 7 week old mixed-pit puppy.  This is the first dog we've had as a family.  Our kids are loving it.

We are working on training him to play more gentle with the children, to chew only on his chew toys, to walk on a leash, and to let us know when he has to use the bathroom so that he can go outside.  As far as the house training goes, he's had amazingly good instincts so far...we've only had a couple of isolated incidents which I believe are related to a loose stool situation that we're dealing with.

He seems to be fairly mild mannered and sweet.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#86 of 102 Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM

On Tuesday we will be picking up our two new puppies. :) They are solid blue merle Australian Shepherds, one boy, one girl.  We haven't completely decided on their names yet, but they are SO cute!!  They will be 7 weeks old when we get them.  I can't wait to pick them up! 

Here is the girl, she has a lighter face and longer fur http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/4a28d29a.jpg 

Here is the boy, he has a darker face and shorter fur  http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/1e41b212.jpg

(he was dead asleep in DS's arms in that picture, so cute!)

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#87 of 102 Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Congrats on your new puppies. I could only view on of the pics, your little boy, so cute.

My puppy is about to turn 9 months old, I can't believe how quickly the time has flown by, and how big my guy has grown. Here's a photo of him taken today.

oscar9months.jpg

Sorry the photo came out so large.

#88 of 102 Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Love the pics, all your babies are gorgeous. I'll have to find one of our German shepherd puppy to post.
#89 of 102 Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM

She is about 10 weeks here 

#90 of 102 Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

She is about 10 weeks here 

OMG, she is just precious! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page