Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#92 of 102 Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Hi!  Can I join?

I have a 9 month old black lab/golden retriever mix. 

He's sweet and easy going, and really smart.  BUT, despite my intentions, we've done a lousy job of socializing him.  We live in the country, and had a baby a few weeks after we got him.  I took him to the Farmer's market and things in the beginning, but then we just stayed home too much, and didn't have a lot of company.  So, he's skittish of new things, and growls at new people.  I took him to a trainer, and we've got him under control in public now, but when people come to our house, ack!.  We have a lot of training to do. He's not agressive, but he sure looks it to people who don't speak "dog".  We've not lived here long, and we don't have many neighbors, and he doesn't growl at the same person twice, so...it's hard to work with him on this.

He's fun around the house, though, and I'm amazed at how low-drive he is.  My last dog was a mix of herding breeds...yeah.  I just bought the puppy tricks book mentioned up thread, and I think we'll have a lot of fun with that! 

I do have a question about training.  So, he's pretty smart, and he knows a lot, but how do I MAKE him when he doesn't want to?  Is it all about proofing, and continually upping the distractions?  And how much should I expect out of him now?  Is he too young to be reliable yet? 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#93 of 102 Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Cute puppy Arduinna!

I haven't been posting to this thread since Asia's such a big girl now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More 

I do have a question about training.  So, he's pretty smart, and he knows a lot, but how do I MAKE him when he doesn't want to?  Is it all about proofing, and continually upping the distractions?  And how much should I expect out of him now?  Is he too young to be reliable yet? 

Make him work on tricks?  Make the reward worth his time.  My dog loves training because she gets a good reward (in her mind at least).  It depends on the dog as to what that reward will be.  At 9 months, he should be able to do some things consistently (sit, stay, those type of requests).

#94 of 102 Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM

No, he loves to work for me.  In fact, he'll bounce around the house looking at me and heeling beautifully, but I can't treat him all day...I have stuff I need to do. 

Should I just put him in his crate or in the kennel or something?  Seems sad not to have him out, but then he won't do what I ask.  Like, if he knows I have hot dogs, he'll come right away, but not if he knows I don't.  I've taken to trying to have a pocketful of something dog yummy, so I can give him more treats and reinforce good behavior.  Seems like a bad idea overall because he will just sit there looking at me if he knows I have something.  Sometimes he'll start running through every thing he knows to do.  If I don't give him something, eventually he'll run off and do something else, like chew up rawhide or annoy my old dog, but he won't just hang out for long.

So, he knows (well) a pretty good handful of commands, but he won't do them unless he wants to.  Thoughts?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#95 of 102 Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

That's the downside of rewarding with treats.  My dog's big on praise so we do that alot.  And I alternate treats with no treats when we're working.  Once she has something down pat, I stop using food.  I also don't reward for her doing something without me asking beyond a "good girl". 

I wouldn't keep him in the crate all day, he needs to learn that he can just hang out and not get any treat.  I'd make sure he has plenty of toys out and gets plenty of exercise and back off with the treats.  And make him work for everything; sitting before petting, etc.  That's what I would do anyways.

#96 of 102 Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM

So, once he knows something, how do I make him do it if I don't use a food lure?  I'm struggling with physical correction...there are so many opinions, and I'm trying to figure out how to get him to do it when he doesn't want to.

Like, a simple one, he's distracted by my older dog, say, getting a drink.  He wants to bully her out of the way, so I tell him to come.  He won't.  He's not overly excited or anything, he just doesn't want to.  I've started having him drag a leash so I can jerk it, but then I wonder about that?

What do you do when your dog knows full well what to do, but won't?

#97 of 102 Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 PM

What constitues "down pat"? And, how much can I expect out of a (very smart) 9 month old puppy, anyway?

#98 of 102 Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Down pat = you give him a command and he follows it.  As in you say "Sit" and he sits. 

#99 of 102 Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM

We have a four year old Border/Wheaten Terrier mix, adopted at age 2, and a brand new five week old Golden Retriever puppy, who came home on Saturday. orngbiggrin.gif

#100 of 102 Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee View Post

We have a four year old Border/Wheaten Terrier mix, adopted at age 2, and a brand new five week old Golden Retriever puppy, who came home on Saturday. orngbiggrin.gif

Congrats on your new puppy. As your puppy is still very young, generally a puppy shouldn't be separated from its mama and litter until at least 8 weeks, you will need to do lots of socialization with him/her. I think this link on developmental stages is very helpful.

Enjoy your new little one!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#101 of 102 Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Congrats on your new puppy. As your puppy is still very young, generally a puppy shouldn't be separated from its mama and litter until at least 8 weeks, you will need to do lots of socialization with him/her. I think this link on developmental stages is very helpful.

Enjoy your new little one!

Yes, I know. There's a long story as to why she's with us this early, but I'll spare you the details. I've raised kittens from birth when a feral mama abandoned them, and I fostered a 6 week old yorkie a few years back, so we felt comfortable taking her on right now. She's doing beautifully so far.

#102 of 102 Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee View Post

5 weeks? Why on earth? Poor puppy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page