Puppy rolecall anyone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It was mentioned in the "peeing in the rain" thread that there were a lot of us with puppies. I like the idea of a "puppy parent support group" and thought maybe we could find out how many of us there are.

I will start.

I am Amy and this is my first time (in my adult life) having dogs. We have 2 mixed breed puppies one male (Scamp) and one female (Rosie). They are 11 weeks 3 days old. Their mother was cairn terrier/pomeranian mix and their father was pure Jack Russel Terrier. The male favors the father, the female favors the mother though they are both black with a white patch on their chest.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have one puppy, an 8 month old Weimaraner, Asia. I have never had so much fun with a puppy in my life.
#3 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM

We added Francie, a pyrenees/husky mix, in July. She was rescued from a gassing shelter in NC. My husband put in 14 hours of driving on his birthday to pick her up!

Anyway, she's 6 months old now. She's super mellow for a pup and loves our morning hikes in the woods. She has completed basic obedience class. We worked with, and will continue to work with a local trainer. She picks up the commands up very easily, and really enjoys her training sessions. She adores kids of all ages, even little toddlers. She especially loves "her own" kids, though, and loves to greet them at the bus stop every afternoon.

She is our third dog. We lost Hannah, our 10-year-old husky/lab mix last summer. We still have Maggie, an unbelievably healthy and energetic 15-year-old cocker mix.
#4 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Hi, we have had Oscar, 12 weeks and 1 day old English Mastiff puppy for just over two weeks. Oscar is also the first dog in our family, actually neither DH or I have had dogs before, not even as kids, so this is all new to us. The first week was hard, I felt somewhat overwhelmed and wondered why the heck we did we do this. House training, having him transition from kibble to raw and the subsequent diarrhea was exhausting. I also was mourning my lost freedom. But things have gotten better, Oscar is pretty much house and crate trained. No accidents in well over a week. I am beginning working on training him. He can sit so far and come when called (most of the time, except when he is trying to get into the shoes). The leash is somewhat challenging, he really doesn't like to walk with it on and isn't keen on going outside of the yard. I have been walking him with the leash in the garden, today we got to the end of our driveway, so some small progress is being made. I am also teaching him not to bite, he is pretty gentle for a big dog, and seems to be getting it. He is a smart dog and doesn't take long to pick things up. Next on my list is to drop something that is in his mouth. I would love to take him to puppy classes, but as yet he is unvaxed, so they won't take him. I really don't want to do distemper or Parvo, if I can keep him away from high dog traffic, if he is exposed I will do the homeopathics. Rabies, we will probably have to get because of the law, but will wait until 24 weeks which is the latest we can do it. Then I will give him the nosode to help him process the toxins. I hate the thought of vaxing him.

He is really a very sweet being and brings such joy to the house.

Wow, that was a novel.

ETA: I think this thread is a great idea!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM

If anyone's interested, we're working our way through this book. It's great mental stimulation for our Weim, who needs it badly.
#6 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a pug puppy, Titus, who is 9 weeks old tomorrow. We've had him for 5 days. Honestly my post is not as glowing and happy as the rest of you. We are having a horrible time trying to housetrain him and today he just started going in his crate too (see my other thread). I am not feeling any happy or loving feelings towards him at all.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#7 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM

I have a 14 week old mutt pup. Her name is Merlow.

Pics at 9 weeks old:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...k/DSC09740.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...k/DSC09736.jpg

We have NO ideas what her breed background is. Her mama (rescued as a stray) looks like an black-tricolored Aussie mix of some kind, and the fathers of the litter were a mystery. I figure a stray female in heat is just a magnet for all the un-neutered males in the area: there were six pups and only two of them looked remotely related.
The above pics were five weeks ago. She looks a lot different now; really leggy and her ears sit a lot higher on her head.

Merlow looks a bit like her black-tri mama, but she certainly isn't an Aussie shepherd. We get a lot of guesses: German Shepherd, Aussie, Border Collie... who knows!

She is a mellow pup (at least as mellow as a pup can be, which isn't very). She is a little reserved at first, but warms up to dogs and people fast. She likes kids, probably because I've taken her to my daughter's school almost every day and let 30 kids or so feed her kibble each time. It is important to me to have a dog who tolerates children.

Crate training is going great: she actually crate trained herself for the most part. She is fine being left solo up to three hours as long as we have plenty of exercise before and after. She sleeps in her crate and just started sleeping though the night this week. THANK YOU! she does like to wake up bright and early, though (6am. Blech).

We have the usual ups and downs with her: days where everything seems great, days when I want to pull out my hair and scream. Ah puppies...
#8 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post

Pics at 9 weeks old:

Oh, she is absolutely adorable!
#9 of 102 Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a 7 mos old French Bulldog and we love her to death. She is almost totally housebroken and she is the light of our life. We also house share/roommate with a just turned 1 yr old Bernese Mtn Dog.

The Berner is a bit of a challenger and most of that is due to her size. She is pushing 90lbs and growing strong. Her name is Willow.

The FBD is named' Charlie" and Charlie is a GIRL. Charlie is white with black spots!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 102 Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Pics at 9 weeks old:
She is adorable!

Here is a photo of DS with Oscar at 10 weeks. He is soooo much bigger now. I swear he grows in front of my eyes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...randTobysm.jpg

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 102 Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Pics at 9 weeks old:
She is very cute, but funny enough she looks like she could be related to my male. I will get some pictures to post later.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 102 Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
We have a pug puppy, Titus, who is 9 weeks old tomorrow. We've had him for 5 days. Honestly my post is not as glowing and happy as the rest of you. We are having a horrible time trying to housetrain him and today he just started going in his crate too (see my other thread). I am not feeling any happy or loving feelings towards him at all.
Shawna, I honestly know what you are feeling, a week after getting Oscar I broke down in tears confessing to DH I feared we had made a huge mistake and that I didn't want him. I was so worked up about feeding him and the house training that I am sure the puppy felt my hostility towards him. I was so nervous he was going to poop (runny at that) on the carpet that I just couldn't relax. I am a total novice, and honestly think I lucked out on the house training front, but you have gotten some great advice. It really does get better.

#13 of 102 Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 AM

These puppies are adorable!!

Here's Asia. At 9 weeks. And now.

Those of you who are frustrated with your puppies, it does get better. I thought Asia would never be housetrained. And she peed in her crate. But she got older and we figured out how she worked and things have gotten much better. One of the best things we did was make sure to keep a fairly strict routine with her. And taught her some manners from the start (sit, etc).
#14 of 102 Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM

#15 of 102 Old 10-07-2010, 05:12 PM

nomadmom, welcome to the new puppy tribe!!!

#16 of 102 Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks, Mirzam. :-) Our guy (we still haven't named him -- how awful is that?) is really smart and funny. He's going to start puppy classes next week because his breed can be dog-aggressive if not socialized at a young age. We've taken him on walks (in arms) around our village, so he's met lots of people and seen a few other dogs. At the vet yesterday, a small terrier was barking at him like crazy and struggling to get at him, but puppy just sat quietly in my arms, barely noticing. I hope that's a good sign!
#17 of 102 Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post
Thanks, Mirzam. :-) Our guy (we still haven't named him -- how awful is that?) is really smart and funny. He's going to start puppy classes next week because his breed can be dog-aggressive if not socialized at a young age. We've taken him on walks (in arms) around our village, so he's met lots of people and seen a few other dogs. At the vet yesterday, a small terrier was barking at him like crazy and struggling to get at him, but puppy just sat quietly in my arms, barely noticing. I hope that's a good sign!
Your guy is an American Stafforshire if I remember correctly? I think as long as you start early socializing him with dogs he'll be fine. There are lots of pits, American bulldogs and Staffies who are at our dog park regularly. They're really sweet and fun!
#18 of 102 Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
Your guy is an American Stafforshire if I remember correctly?
No, he's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They're related to AmStaffs, but are much smaller and have other subtle differences.
#19 of 102 Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM

We have a rat terrier pup that is almost 6 months old now. Her name is Snickers (aka Snickerdoodle, Doodles, Doodledog, George (every time DH says "What are we going to do with you, Snickers?", I say "We're going to love her, and squeeze her and call her George." )) She's really smart, we started basic manners the minute we brought her home. She has completed basic puppy training, the only thing we're having trouble on is the "come" command. Every time she's outside, all she wants to do is eat turkey poop (wild turkeys). Any suggestions for that?

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#20 of 102 Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobyfeeder View Post
We have a rat terrier pup that is almost 6 months old now. Her name is Snickers (aka Snickerdoodle, Doodles, Doodledog, George (every time DH says "What are we going to do with you, Snickers?
Love it! Our pyr/husky pup is Francie aka Francie-Bean, beanie-weenie, weenie, wiener-dog, wiener. She's really big for a six-month old pup, and dh and I about died laughing one time when I was petting her and blurted out, "I love a big wiener." (Said in a baby-talking voice.)
#21 of 102 Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobyfeeder View Post
We have a rat terrier pup that is almost 6 months old now. Her name is Snickers (aka Snickerdoodle, Doodles, Doodledog, George (every time DH says "What are we going to do with you, Snickers?", I say "We're going to love her, and squeeze her and call her George." )) She's really smart, we started basic manners the minute we brought her home. She has completed basic puppy training, the only thing we're having trouble on is the "come" command. Every time she's outside, all she wants to do is eat turkey poop (wild turkeys). Any suggestions for that?
Teach her to leave it. It's come in handy for us with cat chasing, poop (or worse) eating, rock eating, you name it.
#22 of 102 Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM

I'd like to join the roll call with Cassie, our 5 mo boxer. She joins Tucker, her 11 yo brother-from-another-mother, who is a PB mix.

First pic is Cassie at about 9 weeks, and the second is about 4.5 months with Tucker.

Hi everyone!

Jane

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC_0051.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC_0041.jpg
#23 of 102 Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey99 View Post
I'd like to join the roll call with Cassie, our 5 mo boxer. She joins Tucker, her 11 yo brother-from-another-mother, who is a PB mix.

First pic is Cassie at about 9 weeks, and the second is about 4.5 months with Tucker.

Hi everyone!

Jane

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC_0051.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC_0041.jpg
Welcome! What a cutie! I love the picture of both of your dogs asleep on the couch.

#24 of 102 Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
Welcome! What a cutie! I love the picture of both of your dogs asleep on the couch.
Thanks! It was an easy pic to get - they spend about 20 hours a day in that position!

Jane
#25 of 102 Old 10-16-2010, 02:28 AM

We have a 7 mo chihuahua named Boomer (aka..boom chuck a luck, chuck, chuckles, boombie boy, nugget)
He is the greatest dog ever. I've never in my life been so crazy about a dog or had more fun with one. He is so fun and playful and snuggly. Even dh who doesn't really care for dogs scoops boomie up every time he walks by and just carries him around. He's even trying to steal him away from me at night so he cancuddle him in bed but I'm having nothing to with that
#26 of 102 Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Hi everyone, I was wondering how all your puppies are doing. Oscar, our English Mastiff, is now 15 weeks old, and is thriving. He is growing so quickly and has almost out grown his crate, it is only a 36" one but I thought it would last longer than it has. He needed the divider when we first got him at 9 1/2 weeks! I guess we will have to spurge on a 54" crate, so that this one will see him through the next 10 plus years! Training is coming on, he has learned heel, leave (he will now leave shoes when told, but still can't resist them), come, still trying to master lie down. The clicker seems to be working well though. We are working on loose leash walking, but he really loves his daily short walks in the neighborhood. No accidents since the first week!

#27 of 102 Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Sounds like Oscar is doing good! We had to buy the giant crate not long ago but at least it'll last forever.

Asia went on her first hunting trip the other day. She did good, she still needs some practice, but for her very first time she did really good. She also went to pet day at my son's school last week and was able to show off all of her tricks and was really well behaved (thankfully!).

Our newest trick we're working on is getting her to take things to people. Depending on what it is, she does really well.

She turned 9 months yesterday!
#28 of 102 Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's our puppy Dh gave her to me as an early Christmas present on Sunday. She's doing really well giong potty outside on command, but still has an accident inside if I miss her cues. She no longer hates the leash, but fights it horribly if I start towards the car.

She's about 11 weeks old....and her name is Isabella (Izzy)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMAG0448.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMAG0445.jpg

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#29 of 102 Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Oh she is beautiful!
#30 of 102 Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Here's our puppy
She's about 11 weeks old....and her name is Isabella (Izzy)
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMAG0448.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMAG0445.jpg
What a beautiful puppy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page