New Cat Won't Eat Dry Food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just adopted a cat from the shelter a couple weeks ago. She came home with a bag of dry food that the shelter was feeding her, so we've been offering her the same food she's been getting before. The shelter lady said that the cats also got a bit of canned food in the morning and at night. Lo and behold, this cat absolutely will not touch the dry food and yowls for the canned food every morning and night. Is there anything wrong with just feeding canned food? If that's what she prefers, I have no problems giving to her, as long as it is nutritionally okay. She's about 2 years old.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Canned food is actually recommended to ensure adequate water intake to prevent urinary/kidney issues as cats age. The only thing you might need to keep an eye on are her teeth as some cats get more tarter buildup while eating only canned food and you'll want to switch up the flavor fairly often to keep her from getting even more picky.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 PM

I think the ideal is a combination of both. Basically, mixing wet into dry. This is what we do for our dog as well.
#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Canned food is better actually. I wish cats would eat canned only. Just make sure its a good high quality canned, grain free being better.

And i have been reading lately that the kibble really doesnt help much for plaque on teeth as it is not really that hard....

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2010, 04:04 AM

Canned food is perfectly fine, just make sure you choose a high quality variety that is a complete diet (I think it normal says this somewhere on the can). A few types are not complete and balanced, for example, many of the 100% meat varieties are for supplemental feeding, and would be like feeding your cat canned tuna- not adequate for sustained nutrition. But MOST foods are designed as complete diets and should work fine. Many vets are starting to recommend mostly canned diets to prevent kidney issues later in life. Cats naturally do not drink much water, getting most of it from their food, and they fail to compensate by drinking more when fed a dry diet.

As far as dry food cleaning teeth, I read somewhere its like if someone claimed if you ate hard crackers you wouldn't need to brush your teeth. Kibble isn't really that hard and doesn't do much in that department.
#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I agree that a good canned food is better for cats than dry. The issue is that it's often more expensive which is why many folks mix the two to lower the cost.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page