Has anyone used Poochie Bells? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They are the bells that you put on the door so the dog can alert you that they need to go out. I was wondering if they actually work and whether the dog actually learns to use them. Titus has started running to the door when he has to go but if we don't notice right away he goes on the floor (doesn't much have bladder/bowel control yet). If he was able to alert us in some way that would be really helpful.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We do. My dh thought it was the craziest idea until our pup actually rang the bells and went right out to go potty. I needed a way for her to tell us she needed to go instead of us just taking her out every so often.

To start, I showed her how to make them ring and then made her ring them every time I took her out. Once she made the association between the bells and going out, she's done great. Of course, sometimes she just wants to go out and play, but we still take her out every single time she rings them.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 PM

a friend of mine here uses bells. I've seen them in action and they definitely work
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM

We use bells, just like Alyantavid. It's especially nice when we go upstairs at bedtime if our dog realizes he needs to go to the bathroom he will run downstairs and ring the bell (which we can hear from upstairs). My parents' dog also uses bells to ask to go outside.

We just tied some jingle-bells from a craft store to some string and hung it on the doorknob around dog nose-height. Taught him by ringing the bell just before going outside to build the association, and also consistently taking him outside every time he rings the bell too.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

What age did you start using the bells? The poochie bells website says 12-16 weeks, my little guy is 9.5 weeks old. is he too young to start?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm actually wondering if any older dogs (7-8 years old) can learn to use them?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM

I wanted to start much earlier, but I didn't get the bells until she was around 6 months. I can't imagine why you couldn't start at any age. It may take a bit longer with a super young puppy, but I don't think it would be impossible.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM

They do work for us. We don't have "poochie bells" but a decorative bell nonetheless. We were given it when we brought our pup home. I initially thought it was silly, but then when he started to nose them- then bark at me if I wasn't paying attention, I clearly knew it was worth the hype

User Tag List