9 week old kitten-Fleas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband rescued a kitten, he was told she is 9 weeks old give or take. The people that had her were going to just put her outside and its already getting cold here so he brought her home..So he brings her home and she has fleas, We dont have the money to go get some expensive treatments from the vet right now..so does anyone have cost effective kid and kitten safe ways to get rid of these things? We dont have carpet, therefore we don't have a vaccum..but I am going to borrow one for the furniture but I wanna treat the cat first..Ideas?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Flea shampoo from Petsmart would be the first place I'd start. It worked well on our cat when he got fleas. The fleas just fell dead right off of him.
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM

seriously by the time you by shampoo and other products just call the vet for a single dose of revolution....it is a once a month treatment. Unless that is if you haven't already done a well kitten/vaccine appointment because they will want to see her at least once before dispensing. She would be due for her first booster if that hasn't already happened btw.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Agree with lonegirl - many of the otc stuff is toxic to cats and/or requires kittens be at least 4 months. Dawn dish detergent is supposed to help with fleas, but in your shoes I would go to the vet for Advantage or Frontline Plus. Once you get rid of the fleas, you should be fairly safe from them again if your cat is indoors only - our cat is and we apply Advantage only a few times a year when the fleas are really bad outside as a precaution.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#5 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx ladies, as far as I know she hasnt been to the vet yet he just brought her home yesterday. We dont have a vet, because we don't have any other pets..so I guess I'll have to find one

Thanx Again

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#6 of 7 Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM

I have never found flea preventatives to be very good at treating a current flea situation.
#7 of 7 Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 AM

Call aroundpet stores and vets and see who sells CapStar. It is a pill that kills adult fleas 30 after administering and is out of the animals system within 24 hours. It is safe to give to kittens over 4 weeks old. And it is not expensive about 5-10 per pill.
After you treat her with CapStar put on Frontline or Advantage, which are usually cheaper over the counter.
If you don't treat your kitty ASAP you will end up with fleas in the house as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page