Fostering puppies for the first time: any help/info appreciated! <3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone - we get to foster two 8 week old puppies on the weekend, for the first time. I'm trying to read up stuff on the web around basic care, but for those of you who have BTDT I'd LOVE some basic information/tips/advice. They were rescued from a puppy mill.

Is there lots of crying at night? Do they pee/poop right after they eat/drink? Do they need to be left to sleep or need lots of interaction at this age? etc.

#2 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Wow! Sounds like you're in for some fun. I would definitely plan on crate training them. Puppies pee and/or poop a lot, so I would take them out as much as possible. Give them time out of the crate after they've gone potty. Interact with them at that time. Honestly, when we've had pups, we've taken them out every 15 minutes (sometimes more frequently) when they weren't crated. Definitely plan to take them out to potty after eating, drinking, active time, and crate time. I don't know whether to crate them together or in separate crates. I'm sure someone here will know the answer to that!

They probably will cry some at night. Definitely be prepared to take them out a couple times during the night! They will sleep a lot.

Good luck!
#3 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I am no puppy expert, but we did recently get a puppy, now 13 weeks old. Our puppy was not a puppy mill puppy however; he was raised in the breeders home with his 8 siblings. Crate training seems the obvious thing to do, but thinking aloud here, I wonder if it works for puppy mill puppies, who have been used to soiling their cages? I am thinking doing something along the lines of Ian Dunbar's puppy playroom would be better, so that they have room to roam a bit. I would also think your first priority along with house training would be to get them socialized.

This looks like a good article of raising a puppy from a puppy mill:

Rehabilitation of a Puppy Mill Dog

Good luck with your new charges.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
training seems the obvious thing to do, but thinking aloud here, I wonder if it works for puppy mill puppies, who have been used to soiling their cages?

Good point! I didn't even think of that. They may be young enough, that if they were in small enough crates it would work. The thing I don't like about Ian Dunbar's puppy playroom is that it makes it "okay" for the puppy to go potty inside. I know there is a special place designated for it, but it isn't something I'd want to do. I would feel like my dog would never be fully housetrained.
#5 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
Good point! I didn't even think of that. They may be young enough, that if they were in small enough crates it would work. The thing I don't like about Ian Dunbar's puppy playroom is that it makes it "okay" for the puppy to go potty inside. I know there is a special place designated for it, but it isn't something I'd want to do. I would feel like my dog would never be fully housetrained.
I agree with you about the puppy playroom. It isn't something I would have done with our puppy, but he was very quick at house training. He also had the benefit of being with mama in a house and had is den cleaned up after him and his brothers and sisters. I doubt puppy mill puppies have the benefit of a mama that knows to clean up after her babies so they learn not to soil the "den". It was just a thought. Also I wonder if the puppies need to feel less confined to help with socialization/acclimatization to a home?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
Also I wonder if the puppies need to feel less confined to help with socialization/acclimatization to a home?
I bet that's definitely an issue with puppy mill puppies and dogs. I'm guessing that the younger the pups get out, the less of an issue it is.
#7 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM

A modification of Dunbar's pen is often used to rehab puppymill adults - it does a reat job of encouraging a dog to potty in one space and not where they sleep.

OP, there was a pretty thorough thread on housetraining a while back - you might want to check that out.

You'll also want to make sure you keep the pups on a good schedule, if you're changing their food, do so slowly, and provide lots of interaction and playtime.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#8 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much! It's overwhelming in that I don't even know where to start (although I have lots of experience with animals/dogs/puppies, just not in a North American context - different standards in different countries). It's been fascinating reading up on the issues of dogs from puppy mills. So incredibly sad.

Because the puppies are at the SPCA, we will be given everything from their food to their toys to their crate. Not much thinking to be done there, other than the actual care and handling.

Thanks again..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page