How long is too long to go without peeing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We found a 5 lb chihuahua running through rush hour traffic on Wednesday night, with no tags, collar, microchip (!). We have an appointment at another vet to do a full exam tomorrow afternoon but I'm starting to worry about the peeing situation.

She had peed ONCE since she's been with us, that we know of (it's possible that she peed when she was pooping the last 2 times - she wasn't on leash and it was in the back part of the yard - I saw the poop squat only, but can't be sure). She is confined to the room that we are in at all times, so she can't sneak off and pee. She's mostly been in the kitchen, sometimes on the guest bed while we watch TV, or in her crate for sleeping. We take her out multiple times per day, including after a meal or after being in her crate or napping. Nothing! Our dog pees, and she has been following him around, so we were hoping she'd follow suit, but has not.

She has been pooping about once per day, normal looking poops. She almost never drinks water - I give her a 1/4 cup water mixed in with each meal (like soup) and she finishes that, but I think I've seen her drink out of the water bowl MAYBE three times.

Should I be worried? Someone told me that I should pinch the skin on her neck and if it stays up she'd dehydrated - when I do that it stays up a tiny bit, but nothing like what I've seen when our dog has been dehydrated. Anything I can do? Help!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM

I don't think that you should be so worried that you rush her to the vet before tomorrow afternoon. The vet can definitely answer your questions then. In the meantime, is her nose wet? A dry nose is by no means a sign of a dehydrated dog, but a wet nose is a good indication of a hydrated one. If her nose is wet, I really wouldn't worry, and just ask your questions at the vet tomorrow.

Otherwise, it sounds like she's ok. If she was in shock there would be other symptoms -- I doubt she'd be eating, for instance. But since she's eating and pooping and otherwise fine, she probably really is fine. It's also possible she does pee when she's outside, but doesn't have a distinctive squat so it just looks like she's standing.

Just my thoughts -- definitely ask your vet about this tomorrow.
#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Dry nose! I have been giving her more water with a little kibble in it every few hours, and she's finishing it. I'll see what the vet has to say about it. Thanks!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#4 of 4 Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Any word from the vet yet?

I've seen dogs hold urine for up to 18 hours when nervous and if she hasn't been drinking much I bet it possible to go longer. Not healthy regularly, but it can happen.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page