Dog having surgery tomorrow, blocked urethra *UPDATE #2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have 14 year old (maybe more) miniature schnauzer. This dog has had so many problems. First surgery was an un-descended testicle at 3 or 4 years old. Second surgery was a mass in his prepubice last year. Both times he made it through the surgery just fine and then ripped stitches out, which got infected and caused another week stay at the vet's office.

This time he has a stone in the urethra and they have surgically remove it. Apparently this is not a common surgery and our vet has only done 2 in her life. I've been quoted $2000 for the x-rays, blood work, anesthesia to drain the bladder today, tomorrow's surgery, and after care of the dog.

I feel so bad for the dog. His life has been one problem after another, but nothing that is killing him. I'm also feeling guilty about the money. We can afford to have this done, but if the cost gets doubled (as it usually does with this dog because of complications) we'll be in trouble.

I'm hoping everything goes well during the surgery and that we have a miraculous recovery. I don't even want to think about euthanize my dog for monetary reasons. This sucks

UPDATE: Buddy had his bladder drained through a something-centesis. They got all the urine out and he is in much less pain. He couldn't pee for almost 2 days, so it was insanely full. They put the catheter into his urethra and were able to push the stone back up into his belly. This makes tomorrow's surgery much less delicate. He is sedated and on pain meds, but is doing well for a dog of his age. If all goes well he will be back home in 4 or 5 days.

UPDATE #2: They got the stone out of his bladder and he woke up from the anesthesia. He seems to be resting comfortably and they're very surprised at how well he is doing. He might even get to come home tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. Let's hope those stitches hold

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 PM

(((hugs))) and lots of good vibes!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Poor guy! I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys. I absolutely would not hesitate to put an Elizabethan collar (cone) on him if you fear he will mess with any incisions. At pet supply stores, they sell the softer ones. The ones the vet sells are usually more rigid, and more expensive.

Good luck with everything!
#4 of 8 Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
Poor guy! I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys. I absolutely would not hesitate to put an Elizabethan collar (cone) on him if you fear he will mess with any incisions. At pet supply stores, they sell the softer ones. The ones the vet sells are usually more rigid, and more expensive.

Good luck with everything!
Because of this dog's past issues, we already own 2 of the rigid cones. I like the one you linked to much better. I might have to make a run by PetSmart and see if they have anything like that.

#5 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 AM

He had a cystocentesis, basically just a needle with a syringe, needle is put into the bladder directly through the abdomen and you pull the syringe to collect the urine. I promise it sounds worse than it really is. We do these daily at work and the only part about it that ever seems to upset the dogs is having to lay on their backs. They really don't care about the actual procedure.

I hope your pups surgery goes super smoothly and that the recovery is uneventful!

Oh, PetSmart doesn't carry that cone, I've looked for it myself after my girls got spayed . Can you ask your vet about wrapping the abdomen? Darn little kitten I have couldn't wear a cone post-spay because she couldn't figure out how to get into the litterbox with it on (not the smartest cat). She took her stitches out without the cone on (grrrr) so after they were put back in we just kept her abdomen wrapped for the next two weeks, changing the wrap every 5 days. Given where the incision is usually done for a stone removal it should be in front of the penis and in place that could be wrapped.

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#6 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtechmom View Post
Darn little kitten I have couldn't wear a cone post-spay because she couldn't figure out how to get into the litterbox with it on (not the smartest cat). She took her stitches out without the cone on (grrrr) so after they were put back in we just kept her abdomen wrapped for the next two weeks, changing the wrap every 5 days. Given where the incision is usually done for a stone removal it should be in front of the penis and in place that could be wrapped.
This dog, Buddy, isn't too bright either. He had a prepubice mass removed about a year ago and he managed to break the cone going out the door as well as get to the stitches while wearing the cone. He's not all that bright either.

Buddy has been wrapped before and I already have a full roll of the wrap in my medicine cabinet from his last issue.

I'm already feeling more confident about the surgery. Thanks so much for the good wishes.

#7 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM

I'll second that the cysto isn't bad at all. They never seem to feel it. They do hate being on their backs, though! My cat has had many a cysto done (and eventually a PU surgery where they removed his penis because of so many blockages).

I'm so glad that Buddy seems to be doing okay! I hope the surgery goes smoothly!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#8 of 8 Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM

I hope the surgery goes well and you have Buddy back home soon! I have one dog who is determined to get past the elizabethan collar even though I have one that is as long as possible. Sometimes they're just too persistent for their own good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page