Stress Management Product for Dogs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of/used the pheromone dispensing products (collar, diffuser, spray) for dogs? Our vet has suggested that this might be helpful for our puppy, but the leaflet she gave us doesn't really explain enough for us to make an informed decision.

She asked if maybe his issue with peeing in the house so frequently could be stress related since he doesn't have a uti and gets taken outside plenty.

If this is a safe product that might make things easier, I wouldn't mind spending the £20 or so, but if it's bs I'd rather know ahead of time!
#2 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM

I only use the brand name one - usually goes by DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromones) or ComfortZone for Dogs - the other ones seem sketchy to me since they usually add in other stuff. They work in about 60-70% of case ime. It's certainly worth a try for various anxiety or adjustment issues.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#3 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wonder if Bach's rescue remedy would help? You would just need a squirt in his water. You can buy an animal flower essence combination formula especially for stress, but you would have to order it from the US. Why does the vet think it is stress related?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
I wonder if Bach's rescue remedy would help? You would just need a squirt in his water. You can buy an animal flower essence combination formula especially for stress, but you would have to order it from the US. Why does the vet think it is stress related?
Is the animal flower essence a different line of products from Bach? Bach remedies are easily available here. The vet didn't say the pee issues were stress related, but asked us if puppy seemed stressed. He does sometimes, but I would think his reactions are within the realms of normal for his age. For example, he whines when we leave the room (he is gated in the kitchen), but almost always settles within a few minutes. He pees if we leave the room (even if he's just been out). I do think that is a stress reaction, but something that he'll outgrow. If the pheromone thing helps him outgrow it sooner, I'm all for that! The vet also said that if he wore the pheromone collar, it might help him to stay calm during his socialization/training classes.

stardogs, It was D.A.P. brand that our vet suggested, so it's good to know you've seen success w/ it.
#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post
Is the animal flower essence a different line of products from Bach?
Yes, not Bach, made by Pegasus Products.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM

I've used the regular Bach Rescue Remedy for stress in dogs (and myself lol). That would be another option as well.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page