I am living with destruct-o dog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am beyond frustrated right now and 'Willow' isnt even my dog. Ive posted before about my roommate situation and YES I finally have my own apt that will be ready about 11/7/10 however for the time being I am still living with my roommate, my DS10, our dog -charlie a female french bulldog , and Willow, my roommies Bernese Mtn dog.

Willow is the DESTRUCTO Dog. In the past 2 days she has chewed a massive hole in the living room carpet. Now the tack strip is showing as well as the metal piece that connects the tile to the missing carpet. The dog is VERY active, I realize part of that is the breed, and jumps on everyone and every thing.

IMO willow is NOT trained and its to the point where she is terrifing me...

What can I do to make this tolerable for the next few weeks.

Its obvious her owner hasn't a clue or maybe doesnt have a care... seeing as how the dog was just praised for the lastest carpet incident..

HELP ME

Im not saying Charlie, my dog, is perfect but she has yet to destroy anything.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the dog scaring you because of aggressive behavior or just the size/energy combination?

If it is just a really energetic dog who doesn't realize they aren't the size of a toy poodle, eh, it is a few weeks and it isn't your dog. Keep your belongings in your room with the door securely closed and stay away from the dog. Does the dog have a crate for when the owner isn't there? Can you contain the animal somehow if it is just you at home?

If it is aggressive behavior I'd be very much on the owner to get contain the dog when you are there or I might try to find a place to stay until my new apt was ready. Sucky situation but with that size dog you just can't take any chances.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

HI-
this is an agressive, active dog who is not crated.
the owner is passive and does not believe in crates, the owner does not believe in limits, etc

The dog is almost 100 lbs and jumps on everyone, barks all night, chews everything in sight, and honestly Im just done with it.

Willow has been here a year and its not getting any better.

I'd love to close my door but my room is the living room and I have a 'baby gate' as protection. The set up was fine before but now its just not working. I gave my bedroom as a 2nd room for DS and his things...

Im sure with lots of training, positive reinforcement, attention and a way to release energy Willow would be a great dog but... shes not my dog so... its not my job to train her or deal with her. Im tired of the injuries, biting, jumping and broken stuff. I just want to cry.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Are you often alone with the dog? Can you confine it in some manner during that time? A leash tied to something? In a bathroom? In the owner's bedroom? Can you leave a leash on the dog for easy correction/control? Stepping on a leash can stop the jump instantly if you do it right. Assuming you can get that close and that this isn't a biting worry but more of an out of control 100 lb *puppy* who doesn't know how to behave yet.

Can you move your things into temporary storage and have you and your DS share the room with the door?

Do you have a friend you could stay with until your apt is ready?

This sounds like a really horrible situation and while you are definitely a victim of it, so is the dog. That is not a breed known for aggression. Without training I would be afraid the dog will end up hurting someone one day (intentionally or accidentally) and being put down.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM

I was out of town and just got back, but I've been in a similar situation so I figured a late reply would be better than no reply.

At this stage there really is nothing you can do that will change the dog's behavior quickly. When I shared a house with another person whose dog was aggressive to me and untrained we eventually agreed that her dog would stay in her bedroom when she was not home - it didn't change the behavior but it did help me out and I no longer had to worry about her dog attempting to bite me. Is this a possibility?

If not, a more sturdy babygate could be an option - I have a great steel gate that is about 36" tall that works well for me, perhaps it would be helpful for you? Four Paws Walk Thru gate

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I was out of town and just got back, but I've been in a similar situation so I figured a late reply would be better than no reply.

At this stage there really is nothing you can do that will change the dog's behavior quickly. When I shared a house with another person whose dog was aggressive to me and untrained we eventually agreed that her dog would stay in her bedroom when she was not home - it didn't change the behavior but it did help me out and I no longer had to worry about her dog attempting to bite me. Is this a possibility?

If not, a more sturdy babygate could be an option - I have a great steel gate that is about 36" tall that works well for me, perhaps it would be helpful for you? Four Paws Walk Thru gate
Ya right, the owner allow the dog in HER room? and then the possibility of the owners things being demolished? you must be kidding...

Things are going to change when DS and I no longer live here that is for sure. There will be no one to blame but Willow (the dog). Yesterday I got yelled at because willow ate more of the carpet and I did nothing to stop her.

Anyway for now the workable solution is 'ingorance is bliss' My son is staying in his room which is fully protected by a babygate for the hallway and a door to his room. I stay in myroom as much as possible. My dog stays in her crate and willow rules the house. My apt should be ready on 11/7. I am going to be terrified of large dogs for a very long time.

It is very difficult to find a solution when the owner of the dog does not see a problem.

Thanks for all your continued support.

Oh btw my dog stays in her crate, happily sleeping the days away... who knew french bulldogs were such lazy dogs LOL

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Gosh that sounds awful - I bet you're counting down until the 7th!!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM

How much exercise does the dog get? Dogs will destroy things because they are bored and in need of major exercise and mental stimulation. This sounds more like a problem with the dogs owner then the dog. Don't be afraid of large dogs!!! Any dog that is not properly trained and cared for will have issues!!
Good luck to you!! I'm counting down to the 7th for you!!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 AM

How have you been doing? Are you moving/moved out now?

User Tag List