When to let the new cat share the old cat's litter box? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our older cat does not like this new cat (half grown). Right now, I have a separate, smaller litter box for the new one, but I'm wondering when I can go back to just one main litter box? I have had three cats sharing a litter box in the past, so I know it can be done with only two, but it's been so long, I just can't remember the "when." My older cat is hissing and growling at this younger one still (though not as bad as in the beginning), but has never attacked him (and I don't think that would ever happen). It has been a little over a week that we've had him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM

I would keep an extra box for a few months. I have 2 plastic tote boxes for my 3 cats.Sometimes I might leave one if I am cleaning/washing the other box,and putting in new litter. Usually 2 boxes though.

They go a lot and cats hate it when another jumps in on them.With the seperate boxes you will hopefully lessen the chance of either voiding outside the boxes.If that starts up you will have serious issus on hand,because they start peeing all over and won't stop.
#3 of 5 Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM

In general it's actually recommended that you have a number of litterboxes equal to the number of cats plus 1, so for two cats you really should be prepared to have 3 boxes permanently. The extra boxes will avoid fights and intimidation which can lead to inappropriate elimination issues that are very hard to solve. Please reconsider getting rid of the second box!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#4 of 5 Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
In general it's actually recommended that you have a number of litterboxes equal to the number of cats plus 1, so for two cats you really should be prepared to have 3 boxes permanently. The extra boxes will avoid fights and intimidation which can lead to inappropriate elimination issues that are very hard to solve. Please reconsider getting rid of the second box!
I second this! Sometimes you can get away with using fewer if there are no issues between the cats, but I think in your situation I would stick to two for a long time. It's much less hassle than cleaning up messes, or dealing with re-training a cat to use the litter box again once they've been frightened.
#5 of 5 Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it sounds like I'd better stick with it (and get the little one a real litter box, instead of plastic lined cardboard! ). Thanks for your comments.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page