So which cat litter is really the better most environmentally friendly user friendly product? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now, we are using Feline Pine. I love it. It doesn't stink. It lasts. The cats like it. But, then at the store I saw we now have access to two new ones I hadn't seen before.
Arm and Hammer - Corn Husks Litter w/ baking soda
Purina - Recycled Newspaper Litter shaped like Feline Pine

So, I think about little pine trees being cut for Feline Pine as opposed to either corn, which is everywhere and to utilize leftovers is cool, or recycled newsprint, which is reuse.
The only thing is I wonder how well they work. Another concern is diposing of the newsprint one. Could I just use it as mulch like Feline Pine?

What would you use and why?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 11 Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#3 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 AM

I like the idea of the newspaper pellets b/c it's recycled, but you're right--not sure what to do with the used pellets/dust.

I just wanted to add something--if you like feline pine, what about wood pellets from a hardware store? Just got some for 5.50 for 40lbs. and from what i've heard it's the same thing. And it's compressed sawdust, so i'd assume it's a bi-product (as opposed to turning trees to dust to make the pellets). Correct me if i'm wrong....
#4 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't used the corn, but I have used the newspaper. The smell was atrocious with the newspaper and my 2 cats. I just couldn't take it and switched to Feline Pine. I LOVE Feline Pine! As do my kitties.

I also liked that Feline Pine is 100% reclaimed "NO trees were harmed" and it is biodegradable.
#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Holland - Thanks. we have 2 cats as well. There is no odor with the Feline Pine.
I wonder though what they mean by reclaimed. Like left over by-product of manufacturing?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I wonder though what they mean by reclaimed. Like left over by-product of manufacturing?
That is my understanding of reclaimed wood.

I bought a piece of furniture that was from reclaimed wood and the carpenter had used old wood from homes, furniture, leftovers from lumber yards, etc.
#7 of 11 Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM

I've used the arm and hammer stuff, and it's not very absorbent, difficult to clean, and I only used it for about a month.

Reclaimed, as an industry standard, means that the wood was being used for something, such as a building, and has be recycled into the product. So the pine trees used have already been cut and destined for or used as something else, before they were turned into litter.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#8 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM

When I had my cats in the house I used and loved the swheat scoop litter. It was not strongly scented like the other alternative litters and  clumped well. Now that the cats are in the gargage sideroom I switched back to scoopable litter from aldi's. I prefer the swheat for health reasons,but cost is prohibitive at this time.If you write the company they will send a few 1.00 off coupons.

I have also read of people using non-medicated chick feed. I never tried it.

#9 of 11 Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 AM

I use the World's Best Cat Litter- it is corn.  If you go to their website, they have a rebate for a free bag so you can try it. Also, Target has started carrying the brand and the bags had a 3.00 off coupon.  I don't think it smells and it clumps well. 

#10 of 11 Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post

I like the idea of the newspaper pellets b/c it's recycled, but you're right--not sure what to do with the used pellets/dust.

I just wanted to add something--if you like feline pine, what about wood pellets from a hardware store? Just got some for 5.50 for 40lbs. and from what i've heard it's the same thing. And it's compressed sawdust, so i'd assume it's a bi-product (as opposed to turning trees to dust to make the pellets). Correct me if i'm wrong....

I have not tried the wood pellets for my cat, but I do use it for my ferret. It works great for ferret litter and the price is definately right. It does absorb pretty well and doesn't get stinky fast. It is a bit dusty, but that is mostly when you first put it in the box. After that it settles fairly quickly. It may be worth a try for you! 

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#11 of 11 Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Okay. I've been following this thread because we developed a litter problem this year. We were using clumping cat litter because my DH thought the Feline Pine was outrageous. Since I got pregnant over a year ago, he has been in charge of the litter, and he is not as diligent as I am. We moved the litter to the basement in January in preparation for Maddy's arrival. At first, it was fine, but DH got lazy/sloppy and wasn't cleaning the litter frequently enough. Before you know it, the cats were marking elsewhere in the basement and pooping right outside the box. crap.gif

I had a c-section, and then a high-needs baby, so DH stuck with litter and laundry duty (both in the basement). I've ventured down there a couple of times for tornado sirens this year and discovered what an absolute health hazard it is. Last night, I reclaimed my territory. I completed scrubbed down and disinfected the basement. Scrapped the crappy litter, and refilled the box with Equine Fresh (I swear it's the same stuff as Feline Pine, but I paid $5 for a 40 lb bag at tractor supply.) Thank you so much for that tip! I love it!

The basement smells like basement (kinda musty) and woodshop. :) So much better than ammonia! Yay for these suggestions!

However, the cats are still pooping just outside the box. Any tips to help get them reacclimated with the litter box? I did also add another box downstairs. 2 cats, 2 boxes. That was another recommendation from this forum.

Sorry for hijacking, but I love the tips!

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page