Bullmastiff info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the opportunity to get a one year old bullmastiff that is not being taken care of. I currently have 2 male boxers that are the perfect lap dogs not aggressive great with our 3 kids. We have the room and the love to give to another dog he's not abused the owner lost her rental and someone is keeping him for her in a very small caged back yard.
Just wondering of any ideas is it a good idea to integrate him into our home or let him go to the pound? Any personal experience with these dogs with other dogs and children(that know to respect other dogs) ??

Thanks
Tina
#2 of 4 Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have a friend who loves bull mastiffs--she has had a few and the two that I have been around have been extremely gentle and easy to get along with. They haven't had any problems with other dogs being introduced to the family. There are three children in that house along with a variety of other pets.

That being said, my friend is particular about them. There are various types of bull mastiffs and certain ones are more difficult than others. If I were you, I would find out specifically which type he is. I would also see if you could schedule a "meet and greet" with it and your other dogs. Also, see how it reacts with your kids before making a decision.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a mastiff mix. He's gentle and loving, but huge and stupid and goofy. He's also part St. Bernard, so I'm sure that factors into his temperament.

I used to baby-sit for a family bred bull mastiffs. Their adult dogs were very mild and sweet. But.... They bred them to be that way, and only chose to keep on the ones that fit all the desirable traits. I've heard very different things about some other mastiffs.
#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I have a 16 week old English Mastiff puppy and he is a real sweet heart. Obviously he is just a puppy, but as puppies go he has been very easy so far. He is extremely friendly and it seems he will likely have a very sweet temperament. He is smart, but can be very stubborn though. I understand that bullmastiffs were a cross of 40% Old English bulldog and 60% English Mastiff, and tend to be a more dominant breed than the English Mastiff. They should be well socialized. I believe they are generally good with other dogs, gentle giants! Is he neutered yet?

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page