Is my 16yr old cat loosing his hearing, or just a dork? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds silly im sure, but anyone know if there is a hearing test for an elderly cat? I know mine can hear, but I'm starting to ink that some of his cranky old man behavior might be linked to significantly deminished hearing.

He has always had a "I'm looking for you" meow I call it his echolocation. For most his life he has done it, both with his now long gone sister cat and with the humans in his life. He meows a very particular meow and usually does not stop till he hears where I am in the house and then he comes to see me. It's actually very sweet. But he has started to take longer and longer to find me and I started wondering if at 16 he was getting some kitty dementia or something. now we have recently moved to a very different house and he seems quite lost.

But I had this hearing idea the other day because he is so much happier when I just stick my head out into tha hallway, despite the fact that I was already calling him for a while.

So I have been snapping my fingers and such near his ears when he is just sitting around and he does not seem to notice, very loud sound do still get his attention.

So I wonder if my cat is a space cadet, to calm to be bothered by noise, a victim of fuzzy dementia, going deaf or just a dork?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#2 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
now we have recently moved to a very different house and he seems quite lost.
Are the vision and blood pressure OK?

[ETA.--Sorry, that wasn't particularly informative. The reason I ask is that my very first cat (tough as nails, feared by veterinarians one and all) did have similar-sounding behavior prior to a retinal detachment due to unrecognized hypertension. I also didn't want to be alarmist. But I do request the vet to dust off the Doppler box periodically.]
#3 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking his vision seems good, I little fogging visible when the light hits his eyes just right, but no sign of it bothering him. Vet has mentioned it only as something to keep aware of down the line.

How would I know about his blood pressure, never seen anyone check that?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that at his age and other things, it time for him to get a full work up.

Only other health issue is unexplained weight loss, bothersome but not at critical levels at this time.

With moving it's so frustrating to figure out who to send my precious kitty to...

#5 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
How would I know about his blood pressure, never seen anyone check that?
I think most vets have the equipment. Mine uses a Doppler box, which is kind of like an ultrasound--the cuff goes over one of the leg arteries, and then you can listen to the movement of red blood cells. The pressure is measured by inflating the cuff until the sound goes away, deflating it just to the point at which the sound returns, and then read off a sphygmomanometer. It's pretty easy, but the cat needs to be allowed to chill out for a while beforehand to avoid the "white coat effect." And get smeared with ultrasound gel.

Like I said, I may be projecting because it's something I really wish I had caught earlier. One actual thing to look out for in an older cat that is exhibiting signs of disorientation (including odd changes in vocalization) is unusually dilated pupils--that's a run-don't-walk to the vet combination. Hopefully, it's just the alteration in routine that's discombobulating your fellow, but subtle changes are worth keeping an eye on as age advances.
#6 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info, i am looking into finding a really good vet around here to start taking him to right away.
thankfully i have lived so closely to this wonderful creature for so lng that we know eachother pretty amazing well, he comes to me when he does not feel good and even faster when i dont feel well!

i will keep a close track of his eyes, thankfully he lets me do nearly anything to him, a very calm fellow.

#7 of 10 Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

just an update that my little old kitty went to a great vet yeasterday and got a work up, still waiting for the test results, but between an amazing weight loss and this loud meowing she thinks it may be thyroid and that could be making him feel loopy and discombobulated, so they did CBC, T4 and urine and we will know more today.

#8 of 10 Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

all the darn test came back totally normal, cept a UTI that we are now treating. I'm happy to see him seeming so good on paper, but since he has lost so much weight we sadly know that is not really the case in real life.

without doing a really crazy hard neurological work up to look at hearing, they did say his ears look physically great, no irritation or blockages at all.

so after we finish the abx for the uti, he will be seen by internal medicine to further look at his shocking weight loss. its very cold here now and i just worry about how hard it must be for him to keep warm, I'm thinking about a heated cat bed.

#9 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

in less than two months after this post, my fuzzy little love of my life was gone forever, he lost a battle with cancer of some type that spread thru his intestines (probably the cause for the weight loss) and finally his lungs. it was the safest moment in my life i think, it has been a year and i still cry regularly.

i wished i had worried more about the weight loss, but i had asked many doctors about it and they did not seem to worried since he ate fine and was happy.  at 16.5 years old, he had a wonderful life and there was not a lot for me to do, maybe if i had caught it earlier.  just saw this thread as i was cleaning out my user page and thought i would update it.

#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm so sorry!!! I love my kitties so much, and am always devastated when something happens to one of them :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page