Is it the right thing to do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have 2 cats and a dog. One of our cats is the cause of a lot of stress in our lives. She's the sweetest cat to people, but she's downright aggressive and nasty to the other cat and dog. We've had her for 7 years and have put up with it, thinking that she'd mellow out as she gets older. She hasn't mellowed one bit.

We have the opportunity to give her a new home. A new family, where she'd be the only pet, wants to take her. I know it could be a better situation for everyone involved, but my heart is broken. I feel so guilty.

Is it the right thing to do??
#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM

I think you should do it. I know you'll be sad, but she's not happy in the current situation and neither are you.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#3 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM

I think you should do it, too. We had a dog that we had to out down about a year ago. We tried so many things over the years, but we were just outing off what was right for everyone. It will be a year in a couple weeks, and I still miss him and sometimes I cry a little, but a painful as it is to say it, our lives are much less stressful. Your cat will be going to a loving home, which sounds like a wonderful solution.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#4 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM

I'll be honest, i'm against getting rid of pets in all but extreme situations, but certainly, if you have a home picked out which could be a better place for her, i see no reason not to try it out. I don't think you should feel guilty about making life better for you cat.
#5 of 6 Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 AM

I would give it a try with the promise of taking the cat back if THEY want to get rid of her.In the least you can give her one room closed off with food/litter.Might not  work out either,but worth a try.Hopefully the new home will work out!

#6 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

In case anyone was wondering, she went to her new home last Friday. She is adjusting to her new surroundings and is already being affectionate to her new people. She has a little girl who is sooo happy to have her and loves her already! Plus, the mom works with my DH, so we will be able to keep in contact. They know that if it doesn't work out for any reason, we will gladly take her back. But so far, it seems like an ideal situation.

It's definitely more peaceful over here--our other pets seem as if a weight has been lifted off of their shoulders. 

I feel sad about it and I miss her terribly, but deep down, I'm pretty certain it was the right thing to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page