HELP! How do I stop our 4 cats from destroying our couch?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have 4 cat of various ages all with their claws and they have pretty much already destroyed our couch by using it as a scratching post. We always stop them when we see them doing it but we are not always home and the couch looks horrible now. :( I am hoping to get a slip cover for it but not until we get them to stop. Help please!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#2 of 6 Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM

I also do not de-claw.  

There are some ideas to help, hope some of this helps.   

Things to consider are : keep nails trimmed on all of the cats (this may involve the burrito technique), soft paws found at any pet supply store and online, lots of scratching posts available and a big one (I got a massive one on ebay for fairly cheap and it is used daily), frequent play time to wear cats out with wand toys, SSS cat spray to be stuck by the couch, double sticky side heavy duty tape on couch until they learn to leave it alone, more posts and toys around the couch site to redirect their attention, put aluminum foil on the couch to protect until they learn, spray the sides with pure citrus or lemon oil, get lots of toys and place them around the house.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Try rubbing some tea tree oil or orange oil on the couch.Or soak a washcloth and place it where you want them to avoid.It will help for a while.Get a good alternative scratch post or buy some rope and wrap some lumber with it.Rub some good or fresh catnip on the post/board to attract them.

#4 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM

We used these two winters ago when we adopted our new cat. We didn't want to declaw her but she was destroying our furniture. We used them through one season and we haven't really had an issue since.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM

I wish my cat would leave the caps on.  We've tried it several times and within an hour they are all off, grrrrr.

Only one of my cats has claws and he's destroyed the furniture and also the molding to the outside door (when he wants to come in) and the basement (when he wants up in the morning).  My nine year old had a great idea...to make a homemade scratching post with leather.  I've tried the foil, blankets, clapping loudly, water bottle, lots of toys..nothing works really.  This behavior seems to be related to him wanting to go outside.  I am with you, and this is why I decided to get our newer cat declawed, even though I know alot of people are against it.  Our one has literally taken chunks out of the wood trim and drywall :(

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#6 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Cut their nails often-a vet can show you how short (much shorter than I ever thought!).  Also, softpaws really do help. Keeping catnip on a real scratching post nearby also helps.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page