Cat Sweaters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Dar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever used one? Our 19 year old cat is pretty thin and gets chilly, especially overnight. I'd like to find a way to make her more comfortable without running up a huge heat bill. If I got her a warm, snuggly sweater, maybe that would help? Would she keep it on?

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 PM
2xy

Well, I've never dressed a cat. But I do know that cats do not like things put over their heads (unless you accustom them to it from kittenhood). My cats freak out if I try to put a harness on them.

If you try to dress your cat, I suggest a "wrap" style sweater. My Chihuahua had a few of those. Goes on like a saddle and fastens under the belly with velcro. Dunno if a cat would wriggle out of it, but it's worth a try. If you are crafty or have a crafty friend, maybe you can custom-make it with the straps where you need them. A friend of mine made a gorgeous cable-knit sweater for my Chi a few years ago. He was hard to fit, being so small but barrel-chested/thin-waisted.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
2xy

Something like this item....

Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM

They also make various items to keep cats warm. The Snugglesafe is a disc you pop in the microwave that holds heat for a long time, you put it in your cats bed and they can choose to curl up by the heat or walk away. They also make covers for them. http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

Or they make heated pet beds, some specifically for cats. Sort of like a heated blanket, you plug it into the wall and it keeps them warm. Like this, but there are various makes and styles- http://www.amazon.com/3193-Thermo-Kitty-Indoor-Heated-Sage/dp/B00176F9AM/ref=pd_sim_k_5

And they make beds that reflect body heat back without using any electricity- I think they work a bit like those space blankets? I'm not sure what they're called, but you can find examples in most pet catalogs.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Dar

Oh, those pet bed warmers look great! I never knew they made such a thing. I looked into buying a human heating pad but they automatically turn off after an hour or so, which was no good. 

Thanks! The sweaters are cute but I worry about whether she'd keep it on, being a cat... 

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

We've used the warmers for the bed, and they do work really well.  Not to expensive either--esp. compared to heating a house.  We used ours outside for our cats--made an enclosed space and put it there--the cats go in when they want and out when they want.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

User Tag List