My Dog is sick send good vibes please *update post #5 & 10 & 18* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Boxer Isis is sick. She may have gotten into something that has poisoned her. Could you all please send healing goodvibes.gif her way?

I am taking her to the vet. but I wont be able to afford a lot of treatment for her so I am hoping it will be something simple or I will have to let her go. .

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#2 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 02:17 PM

I hope she will be okay!  Any idea what she got into?  Maybe your vet will work with you on a payment plan, or I hear there are organizations out there that might help with the cost.  Sending lots of healing vibes your way!

#3 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Oh no! I hope she will be okay.

#4 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Good vibes coming your way.

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#5 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about taking so long for the update.

Sat. evening Isis chewed the top off some chainsaw oil that I thought was out of reach on the porch. I didnt think much of it since she was ignoring it when I got out there and figured once the lid was off she was done with it since it was so gross.

Well apparently she either ingested enough of it that it hurt her throat or just breathing in the fumes was enough to cause irritation so now she has something like bronchitis.

She was acting so sick because she had a 105 fever apparently. I honestly thought she was dying mecry.gif The vet. gave her 2 shots of abx and within 30 min. her color was improving, she looked really pale around her muzzle where it is usually a nice healthy pink. She ate good a bit ago and is watching everything that is going on and when we got home she grabbed her fav. cat to slobber all over lol.gif: Though she still isnt feeling great yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to relax more.

She will be on abx and tylenol if needed for the next few days but should be fine fingersx.gif From what I could find on the net searching earlier today getting an upper resp. illness after getting into oil is pretty common. Though it could just be a coincidence her getting sick after the oil thing no way to know for sure. I am just glad she didnt drink enough to poison her at least she isnt showing signs of that.

Thank you all for the good thoughts and well wishes.

This is Isis she will be 10months old the 3rd

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Glad she's on the mend - scary stuff! 

I'm surprised your vet suggested tylenol - dogs are sensitive to the active ingredient, so I'd be veeeeery careful about giving it.

Link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acetaminophen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#7 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

She told me to give her half an adult dose for fever if needed to make her feel better. According to that acticle the problem comes when you give to much? Or did I miss something? I would have to dose her with 3500mg for it to be a problem and I most certainly wont be doing that.

After googling I am confused I am seeing all kinds of things saying no tylenol for dogs. Why would she tell me to give it to her?? Dang it my regular vet was out today so I had to use our back up one.

I will just hope Isis's fever dosnt come back greensad.gif

#8 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 AM

I know that some vets will prescribe it; my old dog has it mixed with another drug for pain after a tooth extraction.  I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the OD risks as it seems to have a lower safe range than many other drugs.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#9 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I do appreciate the heads up. So far her fever hasnt came back so I havnt had to think of giving her anything. She still isnt feeling very well but did eat some for me and seemed perkier but has since laid back down and is looking very sad greensad.gif

#10 of 13 Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

After a very scary day yesterday she is up playing and eating and whoowhooing again smile.gif I hope that this means she will continue to improve.

Thank you all for the goodvibes.gif

#11 of 13 Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

After a very scary day yesterday she is up playing and eating and whoowhooing again smile.gif I hope that this means she will continue to improve.

Thank you all for the goodvibes.gif

That's wonderful news!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 13 Old 11-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Glad she's feeling better! :)

Erin

#13 of 13 Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

She still isnt 100% but very close to that. I am really amazed she came back from it honestly. I thought for sure I was going to loose her. She never did stop eating or drinking though but still lost some weight she couldnt afford to really loose. So I am feeding her the best I can right now since we are struggling with money it isnt easy. As of now I have high hopes she will be OK.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page