Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced but good quality crate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I have been putting off buying our Mastiff puppy a new crate and it has now got to the point where I cannot put it off any longer, the poor puppy. I think he will be okay with a 48" crate over a giant 54" crate which seem to be insanely expensive not to mention hard to find. So any recommendations for makers of sturdy, quality crates that won't break the bank and where to buy them. Thank you! 

ETA: I have been perfectly happy with the crate we have now which we got at Petco, but it is only 36" and I don't remember seeing any bigger than that there (otherwise we would have got it in the first place).

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 9 Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have the Midwest iCrate. Aside for the silly name, we really love the crate. They have a 48X30 crate that might work well for you. It is $82 with free shipping on Amazon, which is a pretty good deal for a quality crate of that size.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-1542-iCrate-Single-Door--30-Inch/dp/B000OX64P8/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1291002603&sr=1-3

There is also one with two doors for a few dollars more. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-iCrate-Double-Door-Folding-Inches/dp/B000QFWCLY
#3 of 9 Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I didn't think to look on Amazon, those are great prices and free shipping too. Everywhere I was looking had outrageous shipping costs. I paid more for our current crate which only has one door, than the two door one.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 9 Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 AM

We bought ours from Pet Crates Direct.  We have the Midwest Select Folding triple door crate.

#5 of 9 Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Are you sure you'll only need the 48"? We have the 54"(I think, it's the biggest one Petsmart sold, I know it's X-Large) for our mastiff/St. Bernard mix and it's only JUST big enough for him full grown. Had we gotten a smaller one, we would have had to replace it. 

#6 of 9 Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Are you sure you'll only need the 48"? We have the 54"(I think, it's the biggest one Petsmart sold, I know it's X-Large) for our mastiff/St. Bernard mix and it's only JUST big enough for him full grown. Had we gotten a smaller one, we would have had to replace it. 

I asked some Mastiff experts and they told me a 48" would be fine for most Mastiffs unless Oscar is going to be super huge which given his genetics, is unlikely. They told me the important thing is height, and that the crate needs to be at least 33" high. I am also looking for a good quality crate, as I have heard that the lesser quality crates' plastic trays can split under their weight.

ETA: would you mind telling me the height and weight of your St Bernard/Mastiff, I don't want to have to replace this crate as well, so if I have to I will go with the 54". The Mastiff people all seemed to have 48" crates though.

Oscarsitting20crop.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM

When my Rottie was still being crated we used a 54" crate.  She was 105lbs and 32in at the shoulder, yeah she's freakishly tall lol.

#8 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 AM

I don't know his height. Is that bad? lol. But he does seem to have longer legs than your dog, and he's about 115 lbs. 

#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

I don't know his height. Is that bad? lol. But he does seem to have longer legs than your dog, and he's about 115 lbs. 

Well, Oscar is still a puppy and the angle the photo was taken makes it look like he has short legs. How old is your dog, is he still a pup? We anticipate that Oscar will be between 180 to 200 lbs fully grown.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page