Dogs and nipping..? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our dog is around 12-13 years old and we have had her since she was 6. She is very good for the most part but has started to sort of nip a little. I've never seen a mark on the skin...but I know it only takes one time.

We have taught our daughter how to act/be around her as much as we can (she is 3 1/2) and we warn others that come to our home to not let their kids bother the dog.... I even go as far as not having little kids over for the most part. I have tried crating her but she has some anxiety issues and chews her legs bloody. She's actually very calm (I know she's sounding like a typical small dog with the anxiety issue) she's a bichon poodle mix.

With that said the times she has acted nippy were mostly DDS fault...but not terrible things. One time it was taking her dog bone from her (bad...but she wanted to throw it so the dog would play fetch.. our dog doesnt play fetch but dd had seen this on tv)

In total these moments have only happened a handful of times. I can only thing of two times in the past.

Today's incident is what promted me to post.  I was right there and able to see 100% what went down.  We were sitting on the sofa, the dog sitting on one end, me on the other. The dog was about 3 or 4 inches from where you would reach your hand in the cushion if you were looking for something. DD went over there to get her necklace that she knew was in there, and the dog went for her hand. It was so quick that I didnt see 100% how the dogs mouth was, but I know it was a "nippy" incident. I first felt dds hand to see if I felt wetness to see if the dogs mouth went on her... it wasn't wet and there was no mark.

I know it only takes one time though... and I don't think any mother wants that. I love our dog, DD LOVEEEEEEEEEES our dog. She pets her very gentle and Im not sure why the dog went at her today like that. DD wasn't even moving that fast! We did have a friend of hers over to play today for three hours, but this friend that dd had over didn't bother the dog AT ALL. They did not even pet the dog or anything.... but maybe just having a kid here threw her off? I don't know. I just don't know what to do. I've heard of putting down a dog that bites. But does what she is doing really count? Do I try to find a home for her with no kids? What if I cant? I'll be honest that I have hoped she would pass in her sleep due to her age. She goes to the vet regularly (their also our groomer) and so I know there's nothing medical going on bothering her.

Our family is really inlove with this dog and I really hope you all can be gentle to your posts to me. I've very upset over this whole issue. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

broke down and called our vet for advice and to get help. They are saying it could maybe be arthritis that's bothering her and so they're going to check that out tomorrow.. I'll post an update after our visit.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Was kinda feeling greedy, thinking there'd be a whole bunch of messages. Anywway, we had to make the realy hard step tonight and put her down. I guess the nipping was because she wasn't feel well. She ended up having a stroke. It's going to be hard telling DD tomorrow. The dog was a huge part of our family.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM

(((hugs))) This is the toughest part of having pets.

For anyone else out there who may have a similar concern about an older dog with a behavior change, the best course of action will *always* be a vet exam to rule out conditions causing pain or discomfort. Dogs (and other pets, too) are often very good at disguising problems until they are advanced, so it's always best to be proactive when you see a sudden behavior change!

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 PM

hug2.gif  I am so sorry.  I had to put a beloved fur baby down 2yrs ago because of seizures.  I'll send healing prayers to you and your family during this time of loss. 

Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

That is actually something I had read online before and what prompted me to make the call. Great advice for anyone when a dog changes so quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

(((hugs))) This is the toughest part of having pets.

For anyone else out there who may have a similar concern about an older dog with a behavior change, the best course of action will *always* be a vet exam to rule out conditions causing pain or discomfort. Dogs (and other pets, too) are often very good at disguising problems until they are advanced, so it's always best to be proactive when you see a sudden behavior change!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Mmm, they get crotchety with age, and their hearing and isght decline just like ours, so they are easier to startle and po.  I guess it's time to keep dog off the couch (it's hard I know, but it's a possesion thing with them) and keep her seperated from baby at all times.  Please don't take this as callous advice, I have a wonderful dog who cannot be around my son.  She snapped at him once, and an 80 lb dog could kill my boy in the blink of an eye.  We use gates-  Penny in kitchen, baby in lr, ect.  I do make sure I give her a lot of special time, and we all walk together with no issue, but the only contact they have is in a very controlled setting.

A little nip can escalate fast, be careful.  Also,l tell dd to stay away from the dog, no matter what.  She's old enough to get it, and you can't watch every second

Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibba View Post

broke down and called our vet for advice and to get help. They are saying it could maybe be arthritis that's bothering her and so they're going to check that out tomorrow.. I'll post an update after our visit.

I agree with that.  We have a 10 year old dog with arthritis and he is cranky.  He doesn't snap/nip at people unless you touch his hip area (where the arthritis is), but without meds he's very very grumpy.  I'd take her in to the vet for a checkup and see if it really is arthiritis or if there's something else going on.

I personally, wouldn't rehome a 12 year old dog, especially without researching other options first.

User Tag List