Can I use cat litter for an angora bunny? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Instinct tells me maybe not - otherwise I would have done it already!  But our new wee kitty is causing a bit of an issue, and brainstorming a solution has proven frustrating.

Girl-bunny (so named because my kids changed their minds on a name frequently for weeks after we got her, until we just got used to that "holding name" :lol:) is a good house bunny.  She has full time free range of the dining room and kitchen, both of which are bunny-proofed (no power cords within reach, no plants, etc.)  She is a good citizen of the house: she took to litter training very quickly and naturally.  Her cage, which is never closed unless it's for a safety reason (visiting dog-in-law, moving furniture), is in the dining room.  It has a mesh floor with a pan of pine chips under it; in the corner she uses most, she has an actual litter pan.  The pan holds two inches of pine for odor and absorbency, then two inches of straw to keep the pine out of her fur.  That way, I can dump the majority of the mess several times a week, then do a full clean out once a week.

New Little Kitteh has discovered a trick that our other cats never even considered .  Yes, he's pooping in the bunny's litter box.  This presents a few problems: Bunny's waste is compostable, but kitty's is not.  Bunny's waste does not smell bad... kitty's smells like, well... $h!t!  Every time he drops a stink bomb in there, I need to haul the pan out to the woods to dump it, then take it to the barn to refill it.  Not so bad once every three days for the rabbit (especially since her litter only had to go as far as the compost pile), but it's getting tedious daily!

Moving the cage isn't an option.  There is no other practical place to keep her, nor is there any place in the house where the cat poo smell would not be intrusive.  I can think of no way to exclude the kitty from it no matter where we put it.  We have no interior doors downstairs, and if we did, I fear that shutting a door between her and the cat would lead to her being ignored.  She gets along really well with the cats, I don't want to put barriers between her and the rest of the family.

So I'm wondering if I can use a flushable litter in her litter pan.  Then I could whisk it away to the bathroom whenever it needs scooping.  Our current kitty litter pans are in the bathroom, and we use Swheat Scoop so we can scoop and flush every time someone drops a stink bomb.  I worry that it will stick in her fur, but I don't think it would cling as badly as the pine so hopefully it would fall off as she hops back out through the cage.  I just wonder if she is at risk of trying to eat it; or if its dust could be bad for her; or if anybody has tried this and found that it is, in fact, a horrendous mess and I'm underestimating its potential.

Any insight, oh wise and powerful people of the internet? 

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Clay kitty litters are not ok for bunnies. The dust can irritate their respiratory systems. However, pelleted litters are ok- Feline Pine, Critter Country, Yesterday's News would all be ok. I'm not sure about the Swheat Scoop. I used it for my rats once and they liked to eat it. I'm not sure if that would be good for a bunny, also its much finer than pelleted litters, so I don't know if the dust would be an issue, and it might be a pain to get out of an Angora's fur.

As a side note, some folks are concerned about using pine shavings with small animals (along with cedar). It gives off phenols that can irritate their lungs. Aspen shavings would be a better choice if you wanted to do shavings, or some form of pellets. I'm not too concerned, since it sounds like she doesn't spend much time in her cage, but thought I'd mention it.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  Yeah, I wondered about her eating it, too - we have had problems with mice (ick!) eating the Swheat Scoop out of the cat's litter box!  Go figure...  I'll try one of the pelleted ones, but I don't know if any of them are flushable.  I'll peruse the selection at the pet shop.

I am aware of the problems with cedar, and have heard that pine is questionable - but like you said, since she doesn't actually live in the cage, only goes there to poop, I haven't been worried about it. 

User Tag List