Update!!The police removed my dog from the truck...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After being in the car for 9 minutes on a 37 degree day with two windows half open. While I understand that looking out for the welfare of animals is important, I found this to be totally ridiculous. And the reason I'm so upset about it is because my dog is very old and his back legs are failing. He has to be lifted in and out of the truck.  When I asked them how they got him out of the truck and into their SUV, and then back out of their SUV, they told me they don't lift animals. They used a dog pole and pulled him out. I don't even want to know how they dragged him into the back of their SUV, I'm hoping they had a ramp.

We put together the timeline because it blew our minds. We hopped out of the car to walk around the block to snap a few photos - we were in a really small tourist ghost town. It appears that minutes after we walked away from our car, someone called or flagged down the officers and told them the dog had been in the car for over an hour.

Of course they issued us a citation. After we told them that we were only away from the truck for about 15 to 20 minutes and we could prove it (gas station reciept from another town 20 miles away), the officer said well "that doesn't matter -- when I investigated the dog was in obvious distress. I have photos." Um, yes officer, he is an amazing watch dog. You were peering in at him, trying to find a way into the vehicle, and taking photos. I don't doubt for a second that he was insanely barking at you. This is a dog who foiled a burglarly at our house thanks to his insanely loud bark.

And the whole reason the dog was with us in the truck was because we didn't want to leave him in the yard in the cold weather. He has lost a lot of weight (his days are numbered) and we are not used to this weather which has been freezing well into the morning. I still can't believe it happened and I feel so sad that my dog went through this. The car had some late afternoon winter sun shining on it and was half shaded. It never occured to me for a single second that this would happen.

ETA: And they told us to consider ourselves lucky that they were able to get into the truck because otherwise we would also be dealing with a broken window.

#2 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Wow, that is a bit ridiculous! For one 37 isn't hot or that cold, especially for a dog! Our big ol lab will beg to be left outside when it's single digits and I have to practically drag him inside. We recently took a 4 hour trip and had both dogs with, when we stopped to eat they stayed in the SUV, I didn't even stop to think that it would be weird. They were let out to pee and run and then put back in so my kids could go eat. They certainly weren't distressed by it and would most certainly bark at someone trying to get in. (my dog alerted us to a break in as well a couple years ago) It's extremely common here and I wouldn't have concerns unless it was hot or for an extreme amount of time.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post

Wow, that is a bit ridiculous! For one 37 isn't hot or that cold, especially for a dog! Our big ol lab will beg to be left outside when it's single digits and I have to practically drag him inside. We recently took a 4 hour trip and had both dogs with, when we stopped to eat they stayed in the SUV, I didn't even stop to think that it would be weird. They were let out to pee and run and then put back in so my kids could go eat. They certainly weren't distressed by it and would most certainly bark at someone trying to get in. (my dog alerted us to a break in as well a couple years ago) It's extremely common here and I wouldn't have concerns unless it was hot or for an extreme amount of time.

Thank you because I was beginning to believe I had lost all sense of reality.

#4 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM

That sucks - especially that they poled your dog! :(  I routinely leave my dogs crated in the car as long as the temp is below 65 degrees (F) and I did this while I worked at a humane society!  No one ever reported my dogs in the car while parked at work and I've never even considered this an issue. 

Above 65 and below 70 and I will only leave them if in the shade, above 70 I don't leave them unless I have no choice and I'll be gone for less than 5 mins.  Above 80 degrees or in full sun at 70+ and they aren't left for more than 2 mins.  In cool weather, my lower limit is about 20 degrees with the car parked in full sun.  As you can see, 37 is right in the middle of my safety range.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#5 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Yeah. It usually takes my dog close to 15 minutes to do his business so he is outside in that weather for longer than yours was in a protected vehicle. It seems like using the dog pole on him was a million times worse for him than 9 minutes unattended. :( Poor doggie.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#6 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Oh that stinks.  We almost had a similar incident happen to us. Our Boston Terrier is deaf, and doesn't bark, but rather squeals and whines.  I left her in the car, still on, for 15 minutes while I picked up some take out, and someone came into the restaurant and asked the manager to call the cops because there was a dog in "obvious" distress.  After figuring out she was talking about our dog, I explained that she was not in distress, just doing her usual vocalizing at passers by.  She didn't believe me, reemed me a new one for leaving my dog in the car, and proceeded to harass the manager about calling 911 on me.  The manager refused, directed her to a pay phone, and I left with my food.  I've often wondered though what would have happened if the lady had a cell phone and had called from the parking lot.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#7 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

Yeah. It usually takes my dog close to 15 minutes to do his business so he is outside in that weather for longer than yours was in a protected vehicle. It seems like using the dog pole on him was a million times worse for him than 9 minutes unattended. :( Poor doggie.

Oh, they weren't saying it was too cold. They said the vehicle could get too hot. Jerks. They just want our money.

And I completely agree -- the more I think about it the more I can't believe how much it must have hurt his back legs being treated like that. We are very very mad about the whole thing.

#8 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 PM

I am so angry for you and your doggie.  And telling you that you're lucky they didn't break a window... can we say "power trip?"

Is there a way to contest the citation?   

#9 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbutts View Post

I am so angry for you and your doggie.  And telling you that you're lucky they didn't break a window... can we say "power trip?"

Is there a way to contest the citation?   

We've examined the code they cited us under. We are definitely pleading not guilty.

#10 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

That is so ridiculous-I am so sorry that happened to both you and your dog.

I don't understand why people can not be reasonable about the whole dogs-in-cars thing. I mean seriously, have you ever sat in your closed car for a couple minutes when it was 95 out? Sure, you get hot, but you don't DIE-not in a couple minutes. Even a dog that has a short face and doesn't do well in the heat (like a bulldog) will NOT have a problem in just a minute or 2. I understand that it is hard to then set an exact "how long is TOO long" rule/law, but people who are reporting this are, IMO, just busybodies trying to cause trouble.

I had someone freak out on me when I moved to Georgia. It was only me, with 2 cats in 2 carriers, and my dog (young, healthy) in the car with me. There was no way I could have gotten them all up to my apartment at one time. I grabbed both carriers, shut the door, RAN up the stairs and opened my door, put them down inside the door, then ran back down to my car. Total time-about 60 seconds. In that time, there were 2 women standing at my car yelling-"there's a dog in the car! Someone left their dog in the car!" Luckily as soon as I showed up and told them it had been about 60 seconds (and the dog was standing there looking happily out the window) they left, but come on!

And I'm a vet-the dogs we see that come in for heat stroke (fairly common here in NC) are the ones that have been tied out all day with no shade, no water, or got caught in something and freaked out and drove their temp up, or got left in the car for a LONG period of time. Do you have a vet that could write you a letter of acclimation stating your dog is safe to be in an enclosed car in the sun at 37 degress for x amount of time? Maybe that would help with contesting the charges-which are ludicrous.

Good luck!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#11 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

Oh, they weren't saying it was too cold. They said the vehicle could get too hot. Jerks. They just want our money.

And I completely agree -- the more I think about it the more I can't believe how much it must have hurt his back legs being treated like that. We are very very mad about the whole thing.

Two words- power trip.

A couple more words- have a vet check out his back legs, any problems, send the cops the bill.

One more word- RIDICULOUS!

SoCaliMommy and KempsMama like this.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#12 of 44 Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM

This totally sucks.  I live in a small town surrounded by small towns.  Situations like yours are HUGE revenue builders.  I find it horrifying what some municipalities' police departments get away with stopping people or citing them over.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#13 of 44 Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 AM

I would fight it.  And make sure to save  your "proof" reciept as well as any info about the day, the weather, etc.  And I would also provide as much info about your dog's condition as reasons why you caringly brought your dog with you.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 44 Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM

It sounds like this small town's equivalent of a speed trap. Anything and everything they can do to bring in a couple of bucks. 

I'm really sorry your poor dog had to go through this, though -- if he's been injured by the "dog pole" (gah), I'd sue them for his vet bill.

#15 of 44 Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Whattttt?  37 degrees and they were "concerned" about it being too hot?  What a joke.  Please update on the outcome of your contesting this.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#16 of 44 Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I will let you know the outcome. First courtdate set in 3 weeks.

In my OP I keep saying "they" but really it was only one lady police officer I was dealing with. However, she made mention that her supervisor was on the scene and I was assuming he was in the pound or something but I never did see him.  I called crazy cop lady's supervisor yesterday. I told him I wanted to know exactly how they got my dog into their SUV. He was actually a very reasonable sounding human being. He told me that after the dog was taken out of the truck (with the pole) that he realized the dog had bad legs and was not vicious. So he lifted him into the police SUV. He said he has old dogs himself and understands how they need to be handled. I was so happy to hear this, because for the life of me I couldn't figure out how they dragged that poor dog into the police car.

I have to wonder why the cop lady was so combative and wouldn't tell me this, when she could obviously see my concern about it. She said straight up "we use a pole." Unless he's lying.  

I've ranted and raved and talked my way through the anger and I think I can move forward now. It is such a slap in the face being accused of endangering my sweet doggie. That boy has been by my side for 13 years. To have him taken from me like that knowing how much pain he could have been in was really hard.

#17 of 44 Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM

I understand all of your emotion about this!  I am so sorry this happened.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#18 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM

At first I thought that they were worried about the dog getting cold... It's completely absurd that they thought it would get too hot!!  Especially with the windows open.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#19 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Are they trying to cite you for animal cruelty or something?  I didn't realize that you could get ticketed for having a dog sit in a car, dangerous or otherwise, which is why I thought there were always cases of dogs dying from being in cars that got too hot.  I thought there just wasn't anything the police could do stop that.  I mean, I'm glad they can do something, but they most certainly need to be kept in check.  What they did is ridiculous, and I think fighting it is the right response.  Like one other person said, talk to a vet and have them write a statement about how much damage could have been done to the dog by them using the pole, and have them write something about how long a dog would have to be stuck in that car for them to actually be injured, in 37 degree weather.  Honestly, you'd think they would be more worried about frost bite at that temperature than about overheating.

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#20 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie1104 View Post

Like one other person said, talk to a vet and have them write a statement about how much damage could have been done to the dog by them using the pole, and have them write something about how long a dog would have to be stuck in that car for them to actually be injured, in 37 degree weather. 

Yes! Honestly, I think a dog would die from dehydration (as in, being left in the car for several days) before it would ever begin to show signs of heatstroke at 37 degrees with the windows cracked. That is just insane. Can't wait for your update, OP! 

~PurityLake~ likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#21 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Are they trying to cite you for animal cruelty or something?  I didn't realize that you could get ticketed for having a dog sit in a car, dangerous or otherwise, which is why I thought there were always cases of dogs dying from being in cars that got too hot.  

Actually, it depends on where you live.  There are several places, states maybe, that have made laws about dogs in cars.  Not sure what those laws are, but I know around here there is one and you can be cited and your dog removed.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#22 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM

This is so outrageous that I'd contact your local news station.

zebu likes this.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#23 of 44 Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mods, thanks for moving. I've never been in this forum!

Quote:

Are they trying to cite you for animal cruelty or something? 

The code the cited us on is under animal endangerment I believe. In Arizona there is a state code and this particular town had a municipal code. However, the way the it is worded it seems that the actions are likely to result in injury or death. So, the police in this town threw common sense away and told us our dog was in distress because he was in a vehicle that had the potential of becoming too hot.

#24 of 44 Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

Mods, thanks for moving. I've never been in this forum!

Quote:

Are they trying to cite you for animal cruelty or something? 

The code the cited us on is under animal endangerment I believe. In Arizona there is a state code and this particular town had a municipal code. However, the way the it is worded it seems that the actions are likely to result in injury or death. So, the police in this town threw common sense away and told us our dog was in distress because he was in a vehicle that had the potential of becoming too hot.

Thank you for mentioning it.  We moved to Arizona a couple months ago and I had no idea they had a rule like that.  Good to know.

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#25 of 44 Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Wow, good luck with your court date!  That is really ridiculous!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#26 of 44 Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post

Wow, good luck with your court date!  That is really ridiculous!

Thank you. Our vet agrees and encouraged us to fight it.

#27 of 44 Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yeah, honestly it sounds like she was on a power trip and they need the revenue. nono02.gif

vbactivist likes this.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#28 of 44 Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

So sorry for you and your dog.  Those rules are there to help protect animals and when they are abused like this it is really sad.  Good luck in Court.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#29 of 44 Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM

So sorry you (and your pup) had to go through this, OP.    37 degrees and they were worried about your dog getting too hot?   Have you ever sat in a car at that temp? No way you could get too hot unless you were strategically placed so that the sun were shining right on your head and you had no way to move.  Even then.... I just don't see it happening.    

One of the many reasons that I love winter is that I can take my dog more places.  I am extra, extra careful about taking him anywhere if it is over 60 degrees (F) out so summer trips are hard.  But, in the winter, he sometimes comes with me for a grocery run just cause he loves car rides.   He has a blast looking out the window on the way there, naps while I'm in the grocery, and has a blast on the drive home.       I can't imagine how I'd feel if I came back and someone had removed him from the car for his own "safety".   I hope the charges against you are dropped!   

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#30 of 44 Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing for the outcome. Good-luck!

Decluttering 500/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page