Sturdy dog bed, clean cushion- does this exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking at getting some new dog beds... again.... I have 3 dogs.  I wash the bed covers often but I find that the filling eventually gets stinky and I end up replacing the bed because of the filling - not because of the cover.  Is there such a thing where the cushion/padding/filling doesn't eventually become super full of dog dander???

I need something durable- quality/pricey is fine so long as it can withstand a) LOTS of laundering (cover) and b) time without dander build up.

Impossible to find?

thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Kuranda beds (and their knock offs) are very popular on the dog boards I am on.  They are a cot style and the material is very easy to wash with a wipe down.  Now, they are not as snuggly as some of the other beds, but many people solve this by adding blankets or making fleece covers for them.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM

I've also been looking for something I can put in my dog's crate. He's a chewer and has chewed up everything I've put in there for him to lay on. But I hate for him to lay on the hard floor. I've looked at those Kuranda beds online. Does anyone know if they really are as indesctructable as they claim?

#4 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 AM

When I had a big dog, I'd buy the egg crate foam mattress toppers and cut/fold them to fit into the bed cover. I just bought the cheap ones like from Walmart or similar. They're cheaper than a new dog bed, depending on the size dog bed and the size topper, you can get a few fillings out of it, and when its old and manky, I'd just throw it out and replace it. If you want a cushier bed, just use a few layers of egg crate instead of just one.

Now I have a smaller dog and her bed is 100% washable. Its a basket/clamshell bed with the "basket" made completely of fabric and filling, and a removable cushion. When it gets dirty, I just throw the whole thing in the washer. The one we have is from this manufacturer and similar to these http://www.poochplanet.com/products/cuddle_beds.html although ours is about 5 years old now. I'm sure you can find others as well. Not sure how large you can get similar beds though.

They also make crate mats that are typically fleece and completely washable, but not quite as cushy.
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ohh thanks.  I think I'm going to spring for the Kurandas (eek).  It is appealing to me to have it slightly off the floor.  Plus I can get vinyl for easy wipe down.  Then I will just put blanket on top.

Seems like a 'get it and forget it' idea... 

I have dogs of varying size - 7lbs to 80lbs.........

I think I'll do the egg crate thing for the top as well - that is an AWESOME idea!

Thanks!

#6 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the dog beds from Costco.  They are very affordable (around $20 for the big beds), and stand up to a lot of wear, they also have memory foam ones which we haven't tried.  My dogs like using their paws to nest and dig in their beds so a Kuranda-style bed wouldn't work for us.  I'd get one to start and see how well liked it is.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page