rottwiler in the friend's house. Do i cancel playdates? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I need advice. I have recently learned that my neighbour with whole we started having playdates has a rottwiler at home. They used to keep him athis husbands work but smth happened and they brought him home. This dog is not well socialized and is kept constantly in the crate in the. Basement. They walk him at night very late. I saw him out once and it looked like an owner - her husband barely contained him. This dog is the biggest dog I ever seen. Now knowing that they keep him in the basement I just do not feel safe going with my 2year old dd for a playdate with their boy. Am I beign unreasonable? WWYD? Whould you continue playdates knowing that there is a rotwiler who is not well scialized and is kept in isolation all day long. This dog literally does not see a sunlight and is probably very longly in the dark basement. The isolation can Moe him aggressive and and dangerous.
#2 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I have known some lovely, well-trained, well-socialized Rottweilers, but this doesn't sound like one of those.  Bad dog owners drive me nuts.  Isolation can literally make some dogs insane.

I would not feel comfortable having my child in the same house as an uncontrollable dog.  I'd cancel or hold playdates at my house.

Masel likes this.
#3 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Not really enough info to go on for me to answer.  From the title, rottweiler in house, cancel playdates? my answer would be no.  But that would be my answer for any breed just given that info.

If he was previously used as a guard dog (as that what you mean when you say he used to be kept at work?) and it truly unsocialized, well, then it would depend on the situation.  Honestly, I would report them if he is truly kept in his crate all the time, but if he is secure in the basement, I dont see why you cant go over.   

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is that I do not know much about the situation. The owner, Koreean lady speaks very poor English and what I gathered from her was that the dog was used as a guard dog at her husbands job but he switched jobs and the dog ended up being "unemployed". They brought him home and they keep him in the crate in the basement all day long. They do not socialize dog; they only go to basement twice a day to feed him and they take him outside late at night when no one is likely to see the dog. This lady has very active 2 year old boy who gets into everything. And what really prevents him from going into basement and opening the crate while we are visiting? I know it is probably far fetched but this type of dog  require extensive formal training and extensive socializing none of which happened so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post

Not really enough info to go on for me to answer.  From the title, rottweiler in house, cancel playdates? my answer would be no.  But that would be my answer for any breed just given that info.

If he was previously used as a guard dog (as that what you mean when you say he used to be kept at work?) and it truly unsocialized, well, then it would depend on the situation.  Honestly, I would report them if he is truly kept in his crate all the time, but if he is secure in the basement, I dont see why you cant go over.   

#5 of 12 Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM

No, I would not let my child over there for a play date.

The dog sounds dangerous and because of no fault of his own.

I would also talk to them about getting the dog somewhere he can live outdoors and not crated in a dark basement.

That's abuse. If they did nothing about it, I would report them.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#6 of 12 Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In that situation, absolutely not.

Decluttering 500/2010
#7 of 12 Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 AM

Keep you baby AND yourself away from that dog; a dog big enough to kill or maim an adult is bad enough without adding the agression, lack of excersize, and mistreatment. Their own kid is also in danger, as are they to a lesser extent, not to mention their neighbors, or neighbors pets if he gets off leash. Something needs to be done about this situation, it is ripe for disaster. (Ive done animal rescue for a long time)

Usually, I would say tell the parents why your kid cant visit, and let their kid come to your place, no worries. NOT in this case- other kids are at risk, the dog is being abused, so I would have to call the Humane Society, ASPCA, a Rottweiler rescue, or (last resort) animal control. Which ever agency you can get to go over there and help, (even if it takes cops, which wouldbe awful). Plus, that poor dog also deserves better, I feel very sad for him, he has to be lonely- the life he has is no life for a sentient creature. I hope he is not to vicious to rehome, its vile to kill a dog beause of their owners negligence.

How you do it (if you do) depends on you, and your relationship. If you dont know them very well, I suggest you DON'T mention anything AT ALL about the dog- they will blame you and resent you for interfering, unless they know its a problem ( possible). Stay out of the line of fire. I know it feels wrong to call the ASPCA on someone, but you are NOT being a back stabber or 2faced, you are protecting innocent kids and getting a dog out of misery.
cocoanib likes this.
#8 of 12 Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM

That poor dog.  Rottweilers can be such amazing dogs.  No dog deserves to be locked up like that.  :(

I doubt authorities would get involved.  The dog has food and shelter. 

However, if the dog is in the basement in a crate I'm not sure how it poses any threat to you. 

#9 of 12 Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM

If it was a normal, well cared for rottie, of course.  My bff has a rottie who is a complete doll and perfectly trained.  He has no idea he's a giant scary dog.

This dog?  Only if there was a guarantee that there was absolutely no way that dog could get out of it's crate from behind a locked door.  

Invite them to your house instead if you're not comfortable.

#10 of 12 Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsolarmomma2 View Post

Keep you baby AND yourself away from that dog; a dog big enough to kill or maim an adult is bad enough without adding the agression, lack of excersize, and mistreatment. Their own kid is also in danger, as are they to a lesser extent, not to mention their neighbors, or neighbors pets if he gets off leash. Something needs to be done about this situation, it is ripe for disaster. (Ive done animal rescue for a long time)

Usually, I would say tell the parents why your kid cant visit, and let their kid come to your place, no worries. NOT in this case- other kids are at risk, the dog is being abused, so I would have to call the Humane Society, ASPCA, a Rottweiler rescue, or (last resort) animal control. Which ever agency you can get to go over there and help, (even if it takes cops, which wouldbe awful). Plus, that poor dog also deserves better, I feel very sad for him, he has to be lonely- the life he has is no life for a sentient creature. I hope he is not to vicious to rehome, its vile to kill a dog beause of their owners negligence.

How you do it (if you do) depends on you, and your relationship. If you dont know them very well, I suggest you DON'T mention anything AT ALL about the dog- they will blame you and resent you for interfering, unless they know its a problem ( possible). Stay out of the line of fire. I know it feels wrong to call the ASPCA on someone, but you are NOT being a back stabber or 2faced, you are protecting innocent kids and getting a dog out of misery.

This totally.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#11 of 12 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Learn from my mistake!!! I was in almost the exact same situation as you only the friend's dog was a different breed, but also a large breed. Out of control dog, crated all the time, never walked. They always kept it locked up when guests were over because their dog would be jumping, scratching, knocking people down etc. One day we were there, they let the dog out and she attacked my 2 year old. We are no longer friends.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#12 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm a Rottie owner, but i must say:  Keep your kids away and CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES (that would be your local ASPCA, Humane League--whatever you have where you live).  That is no way to keep a dog, nice or not.  That is straight-up abuse, so PLEASE do what you can to get that dog out of that situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page