Some housetraining questions . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We adopted a 3 month old puppy from the shelter yesterday.  She is very sweet and is picking things up very quickly.  However, we have a few housetraining questions that I haven't seen addressed in anything I've read.

She seems to fall asleep around 7pm every evening, usually on the carpet right in front of the couch where we're all hanging out.  We don't want to leave her sleeping there when we go to bed, because she could wake up during the night or early morning and pee/poop anywhere in the house (not to mention chew and destroy things).  So last night we woke her up, and took her out to pee, which she did, and then put her in the crate in our bedroom.  She was upset for about 3 minutes - barking, whining, banging around, and then fell asleep and slept straight until about 6:30am.  We heard her moving around, so we took her out to pee, which she did.  She was then wide awake (unlike us!), and wanted nothing to do with going back in her crate.  We tried letting her just play on the floor of our bedroom while we layed in bed, but not only was she picking/chewing at the carpet, but she promptly pooped in the corner.  (That's the only poop accident she's had in the house.  She's gone outside every other time.)

So, my questions are:  Are we doing the right thing by waking her up, taking her out, and then putting her in the crate?  Or should we start putting her in the crate around 7pm so she can fall asleep and stay there?  We kind of like having her sleeping by our feet in the evening, it's so sweet.  And I wouldn't mind at all if that's where she ended up eventually sleeping, but not until she can be trusted alone in the house.

In the morning, do we keep her outside for longer waiting for her to poop?  Or are we supposed to get up and be watching her and taking her out every 10 minutes or so from the moment she wakes up?  Or, as my mom suggested, are we supposed to put her back in her crate despite the violent protest, until we're up and ready to take her out again?  We wouldn't mind training her to sleep in a little longer, but we know she's still a puppy and this might be unrealistic.  (And I really hate listening to her protest the crate for more than a few minutes, because she generally really likes it.  She goes in easily in the car, she goes in on her own when she wants to nap, etc.  I don't want her to develop a negative association with it.)

Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!  We feed her on a regular schedule 2x/day, we take her out to pee anytime after she wakes up from a nap, or every hour or two, and about 15 minutes after she's eaten.  She has a lot of outside time most of the day.

#2 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 AM

It sounds like you're doing everything right.  I would try staying out a little longer in the mornings so she can poop, but you'll start to see her routine after awhile.  And if you want to go back to sleep, just stick her back in the crate.  She'll learn pretty fast that she can go out to go potty and then go back to sleep for awhile.

#3 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM

She will probably want to poop after waking up in the morning and after every meal.  They are like babies, in time you will learn the "poop dance".  I wold stay out first am and after meals until she poops.  And honestly, just like a baby, once she's up for the day, she's up.  This will change as she gets older and you can sleep in, but for now, just get up for the day with her at 6:30.  The biggie on housetraining is never let her out of your sight.  They tend to sneak off to pee and poop "oh, don't bother with me, I'll just pee over here in the corner".  It's hard to train after the fact.  If they are always with you you can catch them in the act, and discipline/take them out then.  Not when you find a puddle two hours later.  They have almost no memory and won't get that.

#4 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

If the pup is falling asleep at 7 pm I would definitely take her out again before you go to bed and then put her in her crate for the night. When she wakes in the morning take her out immediately to pee/poop. If she doesn't poop, put her back in her crate, you could give her a chew toy to occupy her. Don't let her loose in the bedroom, or anywhere for that matter, unless you can watch her 100% of the time.

You mentioned she is eating twice a day, a 3 month old puppy really should be eating three times a day (same amount of food divided into three portions), pups tend to go to twice a day around 6 months old.

I am so happy you have found your pup!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page