We have to get rid of our cats, how? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need some ideas.  I've tried posting on facebook, craigslist, etc.  I have 2 male cats (litter mates) who are about 3.5 years old.  They are front-paw declawed (I was pressured into the declawing though it's not something I believe in.)

My allergies to them got worse with each pregnancy and I can't be around them much- they are in the laundry room most of the day which is no way for them to live :( 

One of them spooks easily and can be aggressive if removed from the other one/our house (i.e. when boarded at the vet hospital he is labelled "aggressive.")  I'm afraid that the fact that they are not kittens and that they are feisty (though they've never bitten or acted out toward us) is a death sentence if they end up in the humane society. 

We will likely be making a major move this summer for DH to go back to school.  The cats can't come.  It's just not feasible and I have to be separate from them most of the time due to allergies anyway so they really need a different home.

What can I do with them??  I have a friend with a farm but declawed cats can't survive as outdoor cats can they?

#2 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM

What about fliers at your vet as well as local pet stores (not chain stores) - pet owners are often the best pet adoptive parents.

Good luck.

#3 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 AM

talk to some rescue shelters around you. They might be willing to take them especially if they are declawed . Be prepared they may require you to donate money in order for them to be taken. Please don't give them to a shelter that has a kill policy in place. Nor would a declawed cat make it outside ..

Hope you find your kitties a wonderful and loving homes..
#4 of 4 Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

What about fliers at your vet as well as local pet stores (not chain stores) - pet owners are often the best pet adoptive parents.

Good luck.

I always thought the major chain stores seemed more ethical than the local ones. 

OP, I have to place one of my cats as well, I've been looking into local no-kill shelters.  I'm usually the one to rescue an animal and it does feel bad being on the other side of it, unfortunately sometimes you can't make it work.  :(

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page