We have an empty 10 gallon aquarium. What pet should we get? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kids are 5 & 7, we already have cat, dog, dwarf african frog ecosystem, and Betta fish.

In the past we have had and enjoyed pairs of rats, but are not into other rodents.

I am tempted to do reptile rather than fish, but considering guppies or something else small and tropical.

Low maintenance is a must, and fun to watch and or interact with would be good.

Favorite pet research website suggestions welcome!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#2 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Hmmm, you could do a pretty nice planted tank with a couple small fish or a betta in that tank.  Would be pretty.  Thats what I would do lol, a natural planted tank

Definitely not good to keep rodents in there anyways, and I am not really up on reptiles though I guess there would probably be some small ones that would do ok in that size aquarium:)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 8 Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM

When I was single I had a tarantula.  He died when dss was about 3 or 4 and I haven't had the opportunity to have another one, but if I had to choose, that's what I would get.  Mine was really wonderful to interact with and would sit on my shoulder while I walked around the house doing chores or reading or just about any time I was home.  Maintenance is a piece of sponge with some water in it (no water dish as they can drown).  Feeding was once a week throwing in a few crickets. 

OK, so maybe not a tarantula, then you could get an iguana.  Higher maintenance, but definitely something you interact with.  Of course, you have to interact early and regularly to train them and space would become an issue as it grew.  Diet is difficult because you have to have a specific proportion of vitamins or they get sick. Dark greens are best, kale, collards, spinach, etc.  Throw in some melon occasionally, mine liked that.  But as I said, maintenance is a bit more intense.  UV light is a must, but must be regulated, they can die if it is left on all the time.  Warming rock with a towel over it otherwise they can get burns from it.  Mine loved going swimming in the bathtub about 2 times a week. 

Maybe a smaller reptile, but I've never owned any so I'm not sure how high maintenance they are.

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#4 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 AM

Reptile wise, Crested Geckos might do ok in that size tank. They are fairly low maintenance- they do need to eat special food (crested gecko diet or fruit baby food) but as reptiles go they are pretty easy. They can be handled, carefully, and are interesting to watch.

Anoles can also fit in a 10G. They are mostly just pets for watching, they are very fast. But, they change colors, from brown to green, and the males will display- they have a bright red throat flap they puff out. They eat crickets and meal worms.

If you wanted a rodent, the only thing you could do in a 10G is a pair of mice, or maybe some Roborovski dwarf hamsters (these are a specific dwarf species- they are tiny, not your "normal" pet store dwarfs) Both are quite fast and interesting to watch, a bit hard to handle, but can be done

I would NOT recommend an iguana. 10G is not even big enough for a small one- and then they grow to 4-6ft long!

For fish, remember the rule, 1 inch of fish per gallon of water- and thats full grown fish. So say, 7 guppies or so. It can be hard with a 10G because you can't keep many fish in them.
#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to research anoles since the live feedings would be a draw for the kids.

#6 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

and now I am thinking we will use it to give the african frogs we already have a better home with cool hiding places and some friends :)

#7 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: We gave it to the frogs, and got them some snail neighbors and live plants. The kids really dig the snails (and I thought they would be boring!), and the frogs are much better off now that they have more space (I googled those little complete EcoSystems and they are BAD! BAD! Bad! I should have known better... ). We may add some neon tetras or a couple more frogs down the line, but for now they make for very cool pets.

#8 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM

We have a 15 "tall" tank with frogs, live plants and a pleco (sucker fish). It's in the kids room and we leave the light on at night (instead of the day). The kids love them! They are fun to watch. They like to eat frozen blood worms, by the way, and like good hiding places as well. Have fun!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page