Cat behaviour - love bites??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
WCM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my cat is really happy (I'm brushing him, he's purring and butting me with his nose) he'll turn to his side and bite my hand/arm. Not hard, but I definitly need to trust him that he's not about to hurt me. Sometimes when he wants something AND he's feeling lovey, he'll lick then almost bite my bare foot. I'm not concerned, but would love to beter understand him. Any ideas?

thanks.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM

I have had cats like this.  It's worth trying to discourage the behavior, it can escalate into harder chomps, and cat bites get awful infections.  Cats are hard to train though!  If the teeth come out I would push him down/push him away and tell him no, and push him away with your foot if he bites that.  With my cats they are disciplined with loud noise- a big NO! or or AH! makes an impression on them.  They are smart, they just don't have that drive to please the leader like dogs.  I think that's why I like them so much!  :)

#3 of 5 Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Is this a kitten or adult cat? If this is an adult, and he wanted to hurt you, he would have done so easily. Adult cats know what they are doing with their teeth. If he only bit enough to create pressure without marking skin then he is showing love and affection and is not being aggressive. I have a cat that does this--she started gnawing my toes yesterday quite hard and I shooed her away when I had enough. But I know it was not aggression, she was trying to be affectionate with me.

If it is a kitten he might be playing and yes you want to discourage him from play using teeth on human skin, as it sends the wrong message.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#4 of 5 Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
WCM

He's 10. I know he's not aiming to hurt me, and I'm fine with it. I was just curious about the root of the behaviour; do cats do this to each other 'in the wild'?

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#5 of 5 Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM

My one cat does this all the time. thumb.gif

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page