Self-sustaining fish tank? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
WCM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not asking out of laziness. We've had tanks in the far past, and they required lots of maintenance, and it always felt wierd to me, that we were obviously not keeping a tank that somewhat mimicked nature, requiring so much cleaning. And I've since been convinced that it's about balance, and that ours was off. That with the right size tank, the right plants, the right location, and the right type/mix and number of fish, you could create a more homeostatic environment that mostly regulated itself. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 AM

I think it would be very tough in a tank.  There are just a lot of factors missing to make it a "natural" environment.  A small outdoor fishpond however can be completely self-sustaining with a good pump/filter.  It is fun to feed the fish though, they become tame and will come when you call them.

#3 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

look up natural planted aquarium...or walstad method.

Basically, using a soil under gravel substrate, heavily planting and low (ish) lighting, the tank is fairly self sufficient.  It does take a bit of monitoring in the beginning, but with the right combo the plants clean and filter the water and the fish waste feeds the plants.  You also usually include snails and freshwater shrimp to help with the cleaning.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 5 Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You will always have to do partial water changes, even with plants. Fish waste will build up, and there's nowhere for it to go. A large planted tank with a very light fish load has a much greater margin for error, but I don't think there's such a thing as a maintenance-free fish tank (not with healthy fish, anyway).

I have three large, heavily planted tanks, and the plants are a lot of work! They need to be trimmed and thinned regularly; it's a lot more difficult to clean the gravel around the plants. Yes, fish poo does act as fertilizer for the plants, but there is a limit. Filters still need to be cleaned periodically, heaters still need to be monitored, light bulbs changed, fish fed. I consider them the same way I do my dog - he needs a certain amount of daily attention (food, walks, yard cleanup), and so do the fishies.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#5 of 5 Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Seriously, read the walstad book and research her method.  She has had amazing results.  Its not maitenance free no....but its very low maintenance.  I have not done a water change in months on my tank and its thriving.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page