Neighbor's cats in our yard means we can't get chickens - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so, i didn't realize that our neighborhood has some outdoor cats until the most recent snow and there is cat poop all over my yard.  i don't know who's cat it is.  i want to get chickens this spring, and we were going to get a coop and fence our backyard, but cats can get over a fence.

if i knew who's cats they were, i would go ask them to keep them inside, then i would follow through with asking and if i had to, eventually i would call animal control. its silly that i can't have chickens because they are letting their cats out (when they shouldn't).  but would i be terrible if i called animal control now? i don't know who to go to, and its possible that they are strays.    i would assume they were strays and tell animal control that.  i have never seen them, but i do know what cat poop looks like.

#2 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Well your birds should be safe from all predatores 24/7.  Wild animals, stray dogs etc.  Stray cats have never been a problem with my chickens.  Most cats are scared of a flock of chickens and leave them alone.   Racoons, skunks, fox and rats are worse you can't call animal control on them.  I agree that cats should be indoor but I'd make sure my birds are safe all the time and not call the animal control.  

lifeguard likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't think cats would harm your chickens, most chickens are pretty tough.  Once the cats know about the chickens, I bet they will stay away.  I think if your yard is fenced and you have a secure coop they will as safe as they can be.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#4 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 PM

I have four cats and I couldn't keep them inside if I tried, so calling animal control on them would just lead to their death and to the rodents (that actually could harm chickens) to get out of control. Nonetheless I have chickens and cats and once the chicks have outgrown their infant phase they are more prone to chasing the cats than the other way around. So, get you chickens, get them a good coop , so they can't get eaten by stray dogs or racoons as a pp said.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#5 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM

and I don't know where you live, but animal control wouldn't come out for stray cats here anyways.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#6 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Cats are not a problem for chickens. The only time they could be a problem is when chickens are still chicks but chicks have to be kept in an enclosed area under a heat lamp so then they couldn't be outside and cats wouldn't be a problem. Are you planning on getting chicks or fully grown chickens? I also don't see what animal control could do. if you saw/caught the cat they could act on that but just saying yeah theres poop in my yard and i think it's a cat doesn't leave them anything to do-except tell you to call them back if you can catch it.

I'd go ahead and get the chickens being sure to give them a protected area from foxes, hawks, raccoons, etc as well as any neighbor hood dogs. 

#7 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 AM

My cats are the kind that love love love a chance to catch a bird, and they def steered clear of my chickens. In fact, I think they were terrified! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who has a huge problem with stray cats in their neighborhood coming into her back yard. They pee in her gardens, poop in her yard but, they've never bothered the chickens she also has in her back yard.
#9 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am so glad to hear these responses. And I know I can't protect against everything, but I can try the best I can. I am glad to know cats shouldn't be an issue!
#10 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 AM

worst case scenario, you can trap them and take them to ac shelter for them to deal with.
#11 of 11 Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 PM

I agree with trapping the cats and taking them to AC. It is very unlikely they will bother your chickens,but no one should have to put up with other peoples pets in their yard anyway. My animals stay in my yard,and I expect the same from neighbors.

More than likely your will have more problems with possums,coons,hawks,and ALL dogs. There are many posts over at BYC about dogs killing chickens.

A secure run is your best bet,because even if you are standing right next to them a dog that wanders in your yard will be hard to stop. I stepped away from my hens to close our driveway gate,and in that short time a hawk attacked my hens. A basic enclosure like the ones listed here for cats would be great:

http://www.just4cats.com/ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page