Ultrasonic bark control?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does this work? 

We have two dogs, one of which likes to bark every time he hears a car door slam or drive down our street.  Or anything that sounds like it might be a car door slamming, or someone coming to the door.  Today I was taking plates out of the cupboard and that made him bark.  The second dog will often bark along after the first starts.  I always correct it verbally and they stop, but the constant barking is making me batty. 

I am considering one of those ultrasonic units that emits a high pitched noise when there is barking.  Do I have any hope of it actually working?

Both of our dogs are large breed mixes (rescues).  The instigator is 60lbs and the other one is 100lbs if that makes any difference.  I have heard they may not work well on larger dogs, but if I can just get the smaller one to bark less the big one won't bark as much either.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#2 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Personally I would not use one.  Besides the fact they often dont work, they will go off and punish both dogs for barking and other dogs within range.  They also tend to go off from what I hear at other loud noises besides barking.

They can really really drive sensitive dogs crazy...kind of literally.  Some dogs have been reported to totally freak out, have behavioral problems, etc because their neighbors put one up.  I guess think of it as the cops blaring really loud music to get someone out of a house, but the house was also full of hostages and the neighbors were all still in their homes.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 3 Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Nope, I really wouldn't bother.  We tried it on our 35 lb elkhound mix (i.e. barks a lot!).  She took note of it the first time it sounded and ignored it every time after that - we returned it.  And if you think about it, it makes sense - no device will train the dog for you.  What I found worked better instead is making sure she gets plenty of exercise, both physical and mental (i.e. training, tricks, teaching her little "jobs" around the house).  For example we have lots of those food puzzle toys for her, use her training commands throughout the day, get her to carry and pick stuff up for us like bringing recycling items to the bin.  Barking out of control and other misbehaviours are one of the first signs that she's either bored or under-exercised.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page