Too many CATS! What to do... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We moved to the country 3 years ago and keep finding more cats in our barn.  If they stick around we feed them, and they keep the mice out of my house.  In the 3 years since we moved here we have had 8 cats!  One was killed by a wild animal, 3 lost to the road, 1 ran away, 1 disappeared and we currently have 2 and would like to keep it that way.  We do not fix these animals as I cannot afford to neuter every animal that wanders onto my farm or gets dropped off in my barn while I`m out.  So far no females have shown up thankfully and we have not had more than 2 cats at a time- all are outdoor cats.  Today another cat showed up, she is obviously familiar with humans and fairly young and I`m pretty sure a female.  She was crying pitifully at my back door and ripping into my garbage.  When I opened the door she ran in and was rubbing on my legs.  I don`t want to risk creating kittens and having to find homes for them.  I`m not willing or able to feed more than 2-3 cats.  I don`t know what to do with her if she sticks around and I hate the thought of bringing her to the tiny overrun shelter in town.  What would you do

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#2 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM

I might ask a local rescue group if someone could help me trap them and get them neutered.  I know it's sort of the long view, but that way at least when the ones you have pass on or move on ... you won't have had another round or two of kittens before.

Also, perhaps the cat rescue place would be able to adopt a couple at the time?
I have found cat rescue people to be amazing and helpful and generous...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#3 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 02:09 PM

I would see if there was any place that did free or discount spay. If I did not want a cat around I would give it to the AC.Most shelters I contact declined or wanted $100 to take in a cat! Sometimes paying a vet to humanely euthanise the cat is the kind thing to do.

#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I would see if there was any place that did free or discount spay. If I did not want a cat around I would give it to the AC.Most shelters I contact declined or wanted $100 to take in a cat! Sometimes paying a vet to humanely euthanise the cat is the kind thing to do.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.  Seriously.  None of the hospitals I have ever worked at (6 in 15years)  would euthanise for the reason of having too many cats.  We did/do offer payment plans. 

There are spay/neuter clinics in most towns that will do the surgery for a really low price.  There are also cat rescues and foster homes available.

I grew up on a farm and at one point we had 35cats.  I had them all named and then were all very tame because I would go to the barn daily.  I loved this...sure we lost a few through various accidents etc but that was part of the circle of life. 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

there are traveling spay/neuter clinics really cheap.

I get you don't want to pay for it but these cats are under the law your cats and if you don't want more guess what you are going to have to have them spayed or neutered.

Because they are yours if they start starving because there are more and more of them you would be held responsible if Animal Control found out, You have to accept that by feeding them they are your responsibility and if you don't want more you have to do something about it. If there are already 2 males and a female I wouldn't be surprised if she was knocked up already. Cats are very promiscuous!

There is a program called SNAP (not like the food stamps) that will do a spay/neuter for next to nothing you just have to show your income so they know you are below their margin.

Also just google spay/neuter clinics and you will see plenty in your area I imagine.

Finally, you might just have to bring them to a shelter if you are not willing or able to feed them. I get why you wouldn't do that but it is not an excuse if it was must be done. I totally wouldn't want to do it either, maybe try to find a private rescue or something? You might have to drive a distance to drop them off but seriously if you aren't willing to get them spayed or neutered expect more cats sooner than later. It isn't a matter of if it is simply a matter of when.

Good luck this kind of situation can get out of hand very quickly. Cats don't care about incest so siblings will mate. Females can technically carry a littler at 6 months ( or a little after). Our own female cat was already a mother due to a bad owner when she was only 9 months old! We got her at 11 months.

Here is the link to the SNAP program:

http://www.snapus.org/site/PageServer

#6 of 6 Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Wouldn't she be your 3rd cat? Not saying you have to keep her, but feeding one more cat isn't a big deal. We had a friendly stray adopt us, we took it to the vet and made sure it was fixed and planned on letting it live outside but he was so sweet, we decided to keep him. I understand you not wanting lots of strays, so having it fixed will help keep the numbers down and will help keep the population down in general. And yes, most rescues are over run with cats, so taking to a rescue may be a hard sell.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page