Dog rarely eats dry dog food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an almost 1yo chihuahua and I've realize over the last few months that he's eating more and more "people" food and less and less of his dry dog food. I'm only filling his dog bowl every few days a his point.

He's getting healthy food - for example, I just made a recipe that called for egg whites so, he got the yolks. I eat an apple every day and share it with him. Whatever veggies I'm cutting up, he gets some - typically sweet potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, turnips etc... If I'm cooking meat, he goes nuts and so, I'll give him pieces - typically raw.

Yes, I know, he has me very well trained. Darn dog is just so cute!

We never give him junk food of any kind - no bread, crackers, cookies etc...other than popcorn - he's a complete popcorn-aholic.

So, I know there are people who feed raw or make their own food and I'm sure those people have researched nutrition. We're just sort if feeding whatever we are having.

Is this a really bad idea as far as nutrition goes? I'm not really worried about behaviorally as we don't mind the begging. Im more concerned that the bulk of his food is coming from what I hand feed him so, is he missing out on some important nutrition in the dog food?
#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Are you feeding him any raw bones? I'd be concerned about lack of minerals. It also sounds like he is getting much more veggies than would be part of a dogs natural diet.

#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I do feed raw bones - usually one or two a week.

He gets an ounce or two of protein most days. Today it was egg yolks but usually, I'm cutting off pieces of whatever meat I'm making to give him.

He's only 7 lbs so, he doesn't eat much anyway but today he's had a few bites of apple, a couple raw zucchini "chips", 2 pieces of diced purple potato, one baby carrot, a couple frozen green beans and 3 raw egg yolks. I have some raw soup bones that I was going to give him tonight.
#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Right, I forgot how small he is. My smallest dog is a pug and 20 pounds. For bones, I mean ones he can actually completely consume, not soup bones. Like chicken backs, wings. Hopefully someone with one of the smaller jawed toy breeds that feeds raw will come in, because I'm not sure what other bones are consumable for yours.  My pug eats thighs no problem but he has a much bigger jaw and throat.

If you have a meat grinder, you can grind up the softer bones with the meat and feed that way. We have a puppy that dh is doing that for right now.

#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM

That's the best way to feed them, in my opinion.  Dog food is a brand new invention, whereas dogs have been kept for a very long time before that.  Keep it up, I say.  

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#6 of 7 Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 AM

As long as he gets mostly meat from a variety of sources, bones and some organs, it should be ok.  I would try and make sure the veggies arent filling him up to make sure he is getting enough meat as veggies and fruits are really mostly fillers.

And FWIW, one of the reasons free feeding is not recommended, it tends to make picky eaters.  Because its always available the dog will often not eat as much if its not a food they really really like.  If you need to go back to kibble at some point, do scheduled feedings and set a time limit that it is available for

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#7 of 7 Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM

This thread is for greyhounds, but a wealth of information and can still be applied to your little one :)  make sure you never feed hard bones or cooked bones.  Beef bones can cause tooth fractures.  http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/242512-raw-feeding-basics/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page