My dog has Luekemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all -

I actually just found this site researching about my dog, when I found another woman on this site that had a similar problem.

I brought my dog Redford, a blue heeler or Australian Cattle dog to the vet 2 Fridays ago due to not eating, low energy and large lymph nodes. Hi was put on antibiotics. When he did not get better, I brought him back and they did blood tests. That was on Tuesday. On Wednesday we were told it was Leukemia, and on Thursday, that it was acute type A. Like the woman's testimony I read before, this is the bad kind. For those of you that don't know, it' the kind that normally plagues children. The vet / oncologist said he probably would not make it through the weekend and at that time the gave me the option of bone marrow transplants, blood transfusions etc.  He is now on protozoan, and eats a very rich diet of chicken, fish, rice and potatoes. He now has pink spots around his mouth and gums, I assume that is the leukemia, I guess I am reaching out to see if that is so. I can not bring him back to the vet. As of a month ago, I became unemployed like my husband, and we are struggling to make ends meet. I am wondering what other people have done to treat their sick animals, and if there is anything else out there I can do. He is a wonderful dog in his short 6 years, and he is my daughters best friend. We have all been crying non stop. We have also been praying non stop. Today for the first time, he actually had energy and wanted to play. We let our daughter stay home from school just to be with him since we don't know if he will have any more days like this.

I underlined a few of the things I was wondering. In addition, has anyone gone through this? If so, how long does it last before the dog cant go on anymore? What are the symptoms when it may be time to put him down? Or should I try to pay and cover the costs of the other treatments, does it even work? Has anyone had a pet where the leukemia just went away?

Thanks you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page