canine ear anatomy and pain meds question (Novox) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My beloved pooch is being treated for yeasty ears with an ear ointment that I am certain is causing her some vomiting. Three times out of seven she has vomited after having the ointment administered. Is the canine ear connected to the throat in the way humans ears are? I assume this is the case.

Also, our dog is on a new pain med (Novox) for arthritis and with that med comes risk of liver problems. I do understand why this is an issue however, when I called the vet to tell them that my dog is vomiting after the ear ointment they told me to stop the Novox as vomiting is a side effect and they're concerned about liver complications. I asked the vet tech what vomiting has to do with liver complications and she said, "Well, it's a NSAID drug so you have to be careful of the liver." I asked again what vomiting has to do with that and she said, "There's a connection, I just don't know the technical terms." That sounds a lot more like she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about and couldn't really answer my question. Has anyone here had a dog on Novox? How did it go? What procedures did your vet follow?

TIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page