Problems with spay? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Our dog, Rosie had her spay done 9 days ago.  She was 7 1/2 months old.  We didn't realize she was going into heat, but apparantly she was.  According to the vet, it takes longer when they are in heat; it is more complicated.  Anyways, we brought her home and she was ok.  Irritable, but ok.  She wouldn't eat with the cone on so on day 2 I took it off for a while.  I needed my dh to help me wrestle it back on her later.  Since it was so hard to get it back on her, I left it on straight through then next few days.  Then we noticed that she figured out two things.  1.  She could twist/stretch/etc just right and use the cone to scratch at her wound and 2.  She could get her brother to lick it for her.  Separating the two wasn't good, they went crazy trying to get through the barrier (they have no problem being separated--like if I take her or him somewhere else but I guess since they knew the other was there. . .)

So, on day 6, I took the cone off.  She actually started ignoring the wound and we kept her brother from it.  But now, today she is licking it again and it is looking agitated.  The stitched area has never looked flat, but we thought it would go down eventually.  It is still slightly raised and now a bit red.  Not oozing pus or anything like that.  It isn't hot either when I touch it.  

My question is this:  Can I buy an ointment or something to put on it so that she will be less irritated and therefore less inclined to lick it?  Does this seem odd to anyone?  She is trying to be as active as before surgery (we are trying to keep her activity restricted for the rec. 10-14 days).  She eats and drinks though I don't think she is eating as much as before.  She is having regular bowels, etc.  I don't want to bring her back in unless I need too.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would get some bitter apple spray (the kind without any alcohol, as that would sting) and apply it to the stitches every day.

When my girl was spayed it took at least two weeks before the stitches stopped looking irritated, and she never bothered her stitches at all. It just takes time, I think.
#3 of 7 Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM

1-if she is licking at it....keep the cone on (get a different size if necessary)....seriously I have assisted in a surgery where a dog licked and chewed her surgical site so that we had to go in and do repairs.  She chewed right through opening the incision site and causing damage to her intestines (exposure to air).

2- she could be having a suture reaction if it looking puffy and red. Bring her in and have a tech peek at it (we don't charge it is part of the follow-up)

3-Use bitter apple spray/Dermicare Bitter Spray (better imo)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 AM

I hate those cones and avoid them whenever possible - when my girls were spayed I just had them wear a kids shirt that covered the incision and that seemed to do the trick.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#5 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Is something like this an option?  

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4296506&utm_campaign=5156130&mr:referralID=NA&utm_source=googleproduct&mr:trackingCode=E0943EC4-BDBD-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&utm_medium=cse

We used a chamomile and something else relaxing supplement (years ago, i don't remember exactly what it was...) when our dog got sand fleas and chewed a sore into her tail overnight, we treated the fleas right away but she started licking the sore spot.  We think it was itchy from healing.  Anyway, the relax supplement we used worked to make her not want to chew, we only used it for about 3 days. I don't remember now if we gave her some sort of anti-itch/pain med or just talked about doing it, maybe your vet has something?  I hate those Elizabethan collars too, they seem like a torture to me!  Altho, licking their stitches and causing more damage is pretty torturous also, I guess.  Hope she heals up very soon.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#6 of 7 Old 03-13-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips.  She seems to be doing better now (but I've thought that before).  I did call the vet, they thought that she was probably reacting to the sutures.  They didn't want me to come in unless it got worse.  So, I went to the store and got some of the non-stinging anti-bite spray.  I also tried a doggy sweater to cover it, but it didn't come down far enough.  I like the child's shirt idea.  I am going to watch her today to see if she is still going for it.  The spray does seem to work pretty well at keeping her from licking it.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 AM

I used one of my husband's old undershirts and then tied the excess up over Z's back with a hair tie.

Here's a pic:

IMG_4162.jpg

AAK likes this.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page