Mothering Forum banner

Pet vaccines?

754 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  emma1325 
#1 ·
What's your schedule like?

We don't vaccinate the kids, but I don't know a whole lot about pet vaccines. Are they all necessary? I was thinking we'd try to get away with the bare minimum, but I'm not sure what that bare minimum is...

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

What's your schedule like?

We don't vaccinate the kids, but I don't know a whole lot about pet vaccines. Are they all necessary? I was thinking we'd try to get away with the bare minimum, but I'm not sure what that bare minimum is...
None whatsoever, like every other member of my family. How minimal do you want to go? By law the only vaccination required is rabies. If you are afraid of other diseases, then search Dr Dodd's vaccine protocol and you will come up the schedule many "alternative" vets use.

Some anti-vax info (pro-vax information is plentiful)

The Shame of Brain Vaccinosis

The Science of Vaccine Damage

The Hayward Study, this is a vaxed vs unvaxed study in dogs (Great Danes and Beagles), every single one of the vaccinated dogs were shown to have autoantibodies.

How Vaccines Affect Both Socialization and Behavior in Dogs

Natural Immunity Why You Should NOT Vaccinate! by Pat Mckay, This is a free ebook

The Big Scam - Rabies vaccination by Dr John Fudens DVM

Here is an interesting article on case studies of humans damaged by the rabies vaccination and how homeopathy cured the mental health effects of the vaccine. Our dogs are subjected to this vaccine by law at best every three years, but some states still require annual rabies vaccination.

#3 ·
If you ever want to board your dog, chances are they will require "everything." Our dog got everything when we adopted except bordatella, which we are going to give him since we board him. If your dog is going to have any interaction with any other dogs - I'd actually recommend them. They get into some nasty stuff. I've seen unvaxed dogs die of distemper, parvo, rabies, etc. Not fun, and my vaxed dog is socialized wonderfully - that's more on the human's part to deal with and bad socialization is due to lack of exposure.

We vax every 3 years, instead of 1 year unless the license requires it.

Of course, this is just my opinion, feel free to disregard. I will read the pp's articles now :)

#5 ·
For those that do need to board their dogs and don't wish to vaccinate or fully vaccinate, there are ways around it but I just don't wish to go into on this board. Joining a yahoo group like jstsayno2vaccs and truthaboutvaccines (TAV) will give you the information you need.

#7 ·
So I've done some research and called our local vet's office, and I've decided I'd like to do parvo, distemper and (later) rabies. The clinic that we're going to use offers parvo and distemper separately...or I can opt for a 3-in-one...parvo, distemper, and some other virus (I think adenovirus?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just do the combo shot rather than separating them. Is the risk that much higher with the combo? It would be more convenient to do parvo and distemper together. Separating them will include more vet's visits. And I know from researching childhood vaccines that separating shots isn't necessarily safer since it often means more preservatives. (As a sidenote, we don't do vaccines for the kids.)

Thoughts?

And what is adenovirus? Worth vaccinating against?

#10 ·
Depending upon your area, I would not skip heartworm prevention (not a vaccine - oral medication). Our neighbor does not give his dogs heartworm prevention, and, every 3 years his current pet dog develops a cough and dies of heartworm several months later. This is beyond heartbreaking for me to watch. I've now watched 3 dogs go this way. I agree that some vaccines might not be necessary, and, it sounds like you're doing your research, but, please be careful when deciding to skip vaccines/medication.

#11 ·
Yes , that´s what I would say too . I would definitely get the rabies , plus depending on the area you live in , I would get the vaccines against the most common problems , your dog can pick up .

Something like kennel cough , I would only get if you ever board your pet , but otherwise I wouldn´t , since it really is something , they can only pick up in cramped places .

Distemper is a good one for a puppy , but other than that , like I said , depends on , where you live .

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1329 View Post

Depending upon your area, I would not skip heartworm prevention (not a vaccine - oral medication). Our neighbor does not give his dogs heartworm prevention, and, every 3 years his current pet dog develops a cough and dies of heartworm several months later. This is beyond heartbreaking for me to watch. I've now watched 3 dogs go this way. I agree that some vaccines might not be necessary, and, it sounds like you're doing your research, but, please be careful when deciding to skip vaccines/medication.
Thanks! Thanks for all the responses, btw.

We brought Hunter to the vet today - he's seven weeks old now. We went ahead and did the Parvo vaccine, and we're going back in a couple of weeks to do distemper. The vet also gave a de-wormer which covers many parasites, and gave us the heartworm medication to start when he's 3 months old. We got a sample of flea medication to start when/if we notice fleas at any time.

Thanks for the advice...I just don't want to do anything without being informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.