parasites and heartworms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a 6 month old husky mix pup.  i delayed his vax as long as i could, but my (stupid) vet said they wouldn't nueter him unless he was vaxed.  

according to the test, he does not have parasites. however, the vet also pressured me to get heartworm meds (brand:  interceptor) even though i have literally seen 3 mosquitoes in the 20+ years i've lived in this area. 

do you give your dog hearworm meds?  have you ever used INTECEPTOR?  have you heard anything about it? 

thank you in advance for any advice.

#2 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Where do you live? We lived in the mohave desert for over 10 years, we never had mosquitoes or fleas and we did not use heartworm meds. Now we live in the gulf south and you bet my dogs are on heartworm. We use sentinal because it is a combo, heartworm, flea, dewormer. I've never used interceptor. 

As for the vax, you could try and find another vet but IME they are pretty headstrong on the vax before boarding and surgery. I'd call around and find one that has the lowest vax requirement that you actually trust to do the neuter.

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

thank you, arduinna.  i appreciate your kind response.  i think i just needed a sanity check.  :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page