Would my dog be better off in a different home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a boston terrier that is almost 6 years old.  We've had him since he was 8 weeks old and we all love him very much.  He's a really sweet boy.

The problem is that since we've had kids, our dog seems to be getting more and more depressed and neurotic.  I fully admit that his quality of life has gone downhill since we've had kids.  He doesn't get nearly as many walks as he used to, etc.  He was my first baby in a lot of ways...I even made sweaters for him to wear in the winter!

Now there are often days when I forget if I've even fed him :(.  Our life is totally different than when we first got him.  Our life is crazy busy now.

It's been really hard on our dog and he doesn't seem to be dealing well.  He will often times spend the whole day sleeping in the basement.  Whenever a kid cries or screams, he cowers downstairs to his bed and won't come up for the rest of the day.

He has started to have really bad nervous and/or excited peeing.  We can't even pet him without him peeing.  I've taken him to several local vets and he has been tested for any sort of physical ailment that could be causing this.  They all say it is a mental/emotional problem, not physical.

We recently went out of town for vacation and left our dog with a friend.  He absolutely loved it there!   She totally loved him too and cried when it was time for us to leave.  When I came to pick him up I had never seen him so happy (at least not in a very long time).  She has a jack russel and they got along beautifully.  When I took our dog home he was seriously depressed.  He refused to eat for three days and stayed in his bed the better part of a week.  He really did not seem to want to be home :(

So, there are a ton of other depressed and neurotic type behaviors that have manifested in our dog since our children have been born, but I think this gives an overall idea of what's going on.

I'm seriously considering asking my friend if she would like to have our dog.  I love him dearly and just want him to be happy.

wwyd? 

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#2 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

That sounds terrible. 

I would ask your friend if she would want to adopt him.  If not, then make some changes at home.  I only say to ask the friend because he already experienced that house and loved it.  Does your friend live close enough to schedule doggy playdates or to walk the dogs together. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

If she wants to adopt him I'd let her. Better for the dog, better for everyone involved. Other than sadness over seeing him go, I don't really see the dilemma here. The dog is clearly happier in a child-free home.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post

If she wants to adopt him I'd let her. Better for the dog, better for everyone involved. Other than sadness over seeing him go, I don't really see the dilemma here. The dog is clearly happier in a child-free home.

agreed. Let him go and be happy! Seriously if you are forgetting to feed your dog more than once in a blue moon, he needs to go...My dog would be very very annoyed with me if I forgot to feed her. I don't think she'd stop harassing me until I did.

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM

I agree, re-home him. I had a dog for 6 yrs before I had kids. For several years it was just she and I. Then I got married, then the first kid, then the 2nd. By the 2nd kid she was 8 yrs old and she had had it. She hated the kids. She was jealous of my attention for them and she just wasn't happy. I found a great home, a single guy, for her and I am sure she is much happier. I never had the heart to check back in and see how she was after I gave her up. But knowing the situation she was going to, I knew she would be so much happier to be #1 again.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM

If the dog is already ok with your friend and your friend wants him, that would probably be good.

Otherwise, really, this is your responsibility, he is your pet.  You need to make time for him.  What training have you done to help him be comfortable with the kids?

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page