Solving the Indoor cat diliemma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This sounds a bit obvious, but after years of reading the indoor/outdoor cat debates I finally just started taking my cats outside into the fenced yard for supervised hour long play times each evening. It kind of meant a paradigm shift in thinking about them as cats. If I had a dog I'd have to walk it for an hour a day. I never considered devoting the same amount of time to the cats. Most cats don't enjoy being leashed, and though mine have leashes, it isn't fun for either of us when they are leashed. Turning them loose in the yard unsupervised is a bad idea, for all the obvious reasons. But it struck me that just sitting on the porch and keeping an eye on them while they play is really the perfect answer for these cats. They are middle aged and have always been indoors, but this house has lots of windows and a fenced yard. One of them often cries at the window as though she wants out.

Now that they are out they basically just graze like cows for the full hour *LOL*. They kind of poke around, nibbling, staring, and wandering aimlessly through the grass. They pretend to stalk birds (but never get near enough to do harm). They sniff everything. They seem really blissful. They are also sleeping better and begging for food less.

I do think unsupervised outdoor cats are a nuisance in many ways yet I also think a cat living strictly indoors without ever having time in the sun and grass sounds just as sad as if a dog lived like that. Don't all animals benefit from time outdoors? This really feels like a great solution.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#2 of 2 Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend has her cats out on a leash. I recommend a cat enclosure.

http://www.just4cats.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page